Failed disk not recognised in GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

garethw

Cadet
Hi All,

I am currently testing a FreeNAS 8.0.3 setup before putting live data on the disks.

The box is an ML115 with 2gb ram booting from a usb memory stick. It has 4 x 2TB WD Greed drives on the first 4 SATA ports.

Whilst testing I created a raidZ array with 3 x 2TB drives, giving a 3.6TB volume. To test the disk replacement procedure I pulled the SATA connector from one of the drives fully expecting this to throw the volume into a degraded state. The Console has shown that the disk has been lost but the GUI doesn't seem to know anything about it.

When I goto view disks from the all volumes view it shows the disk without a name(? dev) or serial number. If I try to look at the zpool status I get a "sorry, an error occurred" message.

So, I have a couple of questions,
1/ Should the GUI notice that this disk has dropped off, Does anyone know why it would not show up
2/ If not, why. Surely a disk that just disappears is a cause for concern and would need an admin to be alerted.

ProtoSD

MVP
You're not the only one to post this problem, it has been discussed over and over here in the forums. Look around some more and you'll find your answer. The developers are aware of the problem, but it's more of a freeBSD issue.

garethw

Cadet
Sorry that was a little bit green of me. I did read through the FAQ and had a bit of a search around the forums but was probably pulling my hair out a little too much.

Can anyone confirm if protosd's cron job works with 8.0.3. I'll check it out on Monday but was just wondering.
(http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?1325-Setup-Email-notifications-for-disk-failures)

I'm also wondering, did the v7 releases have similar issues or have these problems been fixed in the 8.2 ones.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
For what use? Next release is going to be 8.2, then 8.3...

You can get alpha images on source forge

garethw

Cadet
Sorry, I misread.

So is the current "recommended" fix to use a script to provide the missing functionality.

I seem to recall seeing somewhere that someone has a back ported version of ZFS v28, would that be a solution?
(edit: that would be protosd see .sig above)

Status
Not open for further replies.