Web GUI Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicCrockett

Dabbler
I'm trying to use the Web GUI to setup a new install of FreeNAS-9.1.0-RC2-x86. Anytime I use a feature that adds something to the interface like groups, users, volumes, disks, and shares the added entry shows up in the left hand navigation, but doesn't display in the right hand tab view. The tabs open up and have buttons like add user or add volume, but that's it none of the information I've added is displayed. The system I'm currently testing has the specs below and I know it's low on RAM. When I go live I'll upgrade to 4-8 GB of RAM, 4 x 2 TB hard drives, and an 8 GB USB flash drive. At this time I'm just trying to see if FreeNAS is a viable solution for what I need before spending money.

Volume is setup as a UFS volume.

HP ProLiant DL380 Gen 4 Server
Intel Xeon 3.4 GHz Quad Core processor
4 x 512 MB RAM
4 x 73 GB Hard Drives - RAID 5
4 GB Flash Drive

Screenshot (3).png

cyberjock

Inactive Account
This is kind of a dumb question since Firefox self-updates, but are you using the latest version? Firefox is typically the most reliable method to access FreeNAS. I see you are using ghostery(I am too), but maybe you have an addon that is blocking the page, or something is disabled in Firefox.

NicCrockett

Dabbler
I've seen the Firefox self-update fail on a number of machines so your question of is it up-to-date is valid. However, in this case it is up-to-date (version 22). I thought about add-ons causing a conflict so I started disabling the few that I have and still can't get it to display. I tested IE before posting and it didn't work there either. No plug-ins other than Flash in IE because I don't use it. I just tested Chrome and though it doesn't load as well as Firefox it's at least all there. I can use Chrome to do what I need to. I just prefer Firefox and that's what the documentation said was best. Thanks for your help.

Razul

Cadet
I'm running into this issue as well. This started happening sometime in the past three weeks. The last thing I did was add a user and configure groups via the web interface. I've tried using both the newest Chrome. Anyone have any tips as to which log files would likely be relevant to troubleshooting? Or other next steps to isolate what broke functionality?

NicCrockett

Dabbler
I don't know what version of the software you are using, but I'm on 9.1 64-bit. In the month that I've been using FreeNAS I've learned that it is the most temper-mental software you will ever use. It's a great product to some extent, but sometimes you have to wait and things will just magically start to work. As an example in my original post I attached an image of the view disk screen not working. It now works, but the storage screen still doesn't show my volumes. However if I switch to Chrome I'm able to see everything. If I add/modify a user or group all my machines are no longer allowed to access any shares and I have to rebuild FreeNAS from scratch. And if you want Active Directory integration forget it.

Whattteva

Wizard
I don't know what version of the software you are using, but I'm on 9.1 64-bit. In the month that I've been using FreeNAS I've learned that it is the most temper-mental software you will ever use. It's a great product to some extent, but sometimes you have to wait and things will just magically start to work. As an example in my original post I attached an image of the view disk screen not working. It now works, but the storage screen still doesn't show my volumes. However if I switch to Chrome I'm able to see everything. If I add/modify a user or group all my machines are no longer allowed to access any shares and I have to rebuild FreeNAS from scratch. And if you want Active Directory integration forget it.
Don't know about the percentage of users here who share your sentiment, but I certainly would like to disagree with it.
I've been using it for about 8 months or so and other than 9.1.0 jail bugs found it to be pretty rock solid.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd say that 9.1 has more bugs that are major problems for a large subset of admins than any version I've seen since 8.0.4. I really feel like 9.1 was pushed out the door long before it should have been. I think it needed another month to get more worked out and I think 9.1.1 should have been the 9.1 release.

I have some resilvering and stuff to do this weekend now that 9.1.1 is out. I've actually been waiting for 9.1.1 just so I could enjoy a less buggy version. But I haven't had any problems myself aside from an encryption issue that was identified(but not corrected with 9.1.1). Since I know how to deal with it myself its not a big deal.

NicCrockett

Dabbler
I'm a FreeNAS noob, but I have 10+ years IT experience and it shouldn't be this difficult. FreeNAS has an extremely simple interface and is so easy to pick-up and use without any training. My problem was I didn't leave time for the gnomes to do their magic. The settings I used in the end were the same settings I couldn't get to work on multiple tries when I first started. I would have dropped this product as a failure if it wasn't for the fact that I needed something that cost as little as possible. @Cyberjock thank you for the help you provided and thanks for letting me know that 9.1.1 was out. If I need a thrill I'll attempt to upgrade. I've finally got a semi-working configuration so I'm a little scared to touch it. @Whatteva I'm glad you've had a better experience than me. I certainly don't wish what I've gone through on anyone!

Whattteva

Wizard
Congrats on getting it working. I'm glad it worked out for you in the end. I sincerely hope you'll have a much more stable experience now that you have it working.

Status
Not open for further replies.