Fail to Decrypt

Status
Not open for further replies.

afmiller

Contributor
So I am having an issue decrypting my drives. I swapped the hardware from one case to a new one. In the process one of the drives got damaged while the system was off. The drive doesn't boot and FreeNAS doesn't register the drive in the storage tab after I did a fresh reinstall. I know the passphrase and have the correct geli key. I get the error below in the link. https://pastebin.com/b1PKEyYn

What are my options?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

m0nkey_

MVP
Do you also have the recovery keys? If not, then your pool is lost. You will need to restore from backup.

afmiller

Contributor
Do you also have the recovery keys? If not, then your pool is lost. You will need to restore from backup.

Am I not correct in assuming that the geli.whatever it is file is the recovery key. Cause when I went to download recovery key, that's what I got. I have the passphrase and the key. I know they work cause it cause before I restore the config and try and import it works but just sees 4 drives not 5. But once I restore and try to decrypt I get that error

rs225

Guru
In the past, geli.key (or similar) was the regular key, and geli_recovery.key (or similar) was the recovery key. If you still have the original boot environment, you may also have the option of going back to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.