Extracting data to/from share

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, so as of recently i havent any issues nor complaints. But heres my issue, im working with large data 7-12Gb files, but these files are made up of .rar's .....and most of them are 50-100Mb each, so theres sometimes ALOT.

Usually they sit on my FreeNAS server share, that is mapped to my servers, from one of the servers i navigate to the folder, select all the rar's i want and use 7zip to extract...

This was great, when i was doing small files, now that they're 7+ Gb, its very slow, takes 30 some minutes at times....And i am doing all this over 10Gb fiber.

So to sum it up, is there a way through idk, the FreeNAS CLI to extract these rar files directly onto the share, instead of going through the windows share that is mapped over the 10Gb that it then has to read the rar's and extract it to the same place? Or will i run into issues because Unix is the underlying permissions and windows permissions sits ontop?

I am open to suggestions

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Alright, so as of recently i havent any issues nor complaints. But heres my issue, im working with large data 7-12Gb files, but these files are made up of .rar's .....and most of them are 50-100Mb each, so theres sometimes ALOT.

Usually they sit on my FreeNAS server share, that is mapped to my servers, from one of the servers i navigate to the folder, select all the rar's i want and use 7zip to extract...

This was great, when i was doing small files, now that they're 7+ Gb, its very slow, takes 30 some minutes at times....And i am doing all this over 10Gb fiber.

So to sum it up, is there a way through idk, the FreeNAS CLI to extract these rar files directly onto the share, instead of going through the windows share that is mapped over the 10Gb that it then has to read the rar's and extract it to the same place? Or will i run into issues because Unix is the underlying permissions and windows permissions sits ontop?

I am open to suggestions
Install unrar in a jail and add your dataset to the jail. Add a user to the jail with the same UID as the owner in the host and use this user to unrar it. I don't think you'll encounter permissions problems.

What if you kept the data on a dataset with gzip maximum compression enabled? No need for the RARs.
The im not making the files .rar's they are being being pulled down by my one VM from another server, sadly i dont have an option to DL the files unrar'd already....

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I'm with @anodos . That's what I'd try.

Install unrar in a jail and add your dataset to the jail. Add a user to the jail with the same UID as the owner in the host and use this user to unrar it. I don't think you'll encounter permissions problems.
I'm with @anodos . That's what I'd try.
Yea this is what i am going to work on today, see how much tinkering and breaking i can do :D

What OS is the jail technically, its FreeBSD correct? Or something else

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Run uname -a from a command line to confirm, but yes, my jails are freebsd.

Run uname -a from a command line to confirm, but yes, my jails are freebsd.
Yea, thats what i thought; 9.3-RELEASE-p25 FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p25....i cant find any packages for unrar or 7zip/p7zip that will run i keep getting errors trying to execute the binaries, done chmod +x and i get ./unrar: Exec format error. Binary file not executable. .....uhhhh lol

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Code:
pkg install  archivers/unrar

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Protip when trying to use pkg-ng stuff... pkg search is a savior.

Just do "pkg search rar" and you'll be pleasantly surprised by the results. ;)

Uhhhhhhhhhhh! Why did this take me so long....i started doing all this at like 10AM...its now 5PM...dam it! lol Thank you depasseg and @cyberjock if this was reddit youd both get some gold :p ; for now heres a :beer: /theres no beer emoji...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
PSA: Maximum ZFS compression can make the best of servers crawl to a halt.

mrclint

Dabbler
Hello,
I'm borrowing this thread as I am in the same situation and need unrar to work in a jail.

FreeBSD freenas.local 9.3-RELEASE-p28 FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p28 #0 r288272+4d913dc: Fri Nov 27 22:56:01 PST 2015 root@build3.ixsystems.com:/tank/home/stable-builds/FN/objs/os-base/amd64/tank/home/stable-builds/FN/FreeBSD/src/sys/FREENAS.amd64 amd64

When running the command
[root@freenas] ~# pkg install archivers/unrar
I get the following result:
Updating local repository catalogue...
pkg: file:///usr/ports/packages/meta.txz: No such file or directory
pkg: repository local has no meta file, using default settings
pkg: file:///usr/ports/packages/digests.txz: No such file or directory
pkg: Unable to update repository local
All repositories are up-to-date.
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'archivers/unrar' have been found in the repositories

And when running command "pkg search rar" I get:
pkg: file:///usr/ports/packages/meta.txz: No such file or directory
pkg: file:///usr/ports/packages/digests.txz: No such file or directory

Should I run this command in a specific folder/directory or what am I missing?
Now it is time for me to get some sleep and have a look at this again tomorrow.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Hello,
I'm borrowing this thread as I am in the same situation and need unrar to work in a jail.

FreeBSD freenas.local 9.3-RELEASE-p28 FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p28 #0 r288272+4d913dc: Fri Nov 27 22:56:01 PST 2015 root@build3.ixsystems.com:/tank/home/stable-builds/FN/objs/os-base/amd64/tank/home/stable-builds/FN/FreeBSD/src/sys/FREENAS.amd64 amd64

When running the command
[root@freenas] ~# pkg install archivers/unrar
I get the following result:

And when running command "pkg search rar" I get:

Should I run this command in a specific folder/directory or what am I missing?
Now it is time for me to get some sleep and have a look at this again tomorrow.
You shouldn't be trying to install pkgs in freenas. Use a jail

mrclint

Dabbler
Thanks, it worked very well when using a jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.