External Static IP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why can't I assign a static external ip to freenas. I have tried setting the ip via freenas console and over WebGUI and I have tried setting the default gateway and also setting static routes.
Any help is appreciated!!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Why can't I assign a static external ip to freenas. I have tried setting the ip via freenas console and over WebGUI and I have tried setting the default gateway and also setting static routes.
Any help is appreciated!!
Under Network->Interfaces, provide an IP address with subnet mask and turn off DHCP. Make sure the IP address you use isn't already in use on your LAN, or in the range of addresses used by your router's DHCP service.

Under Network->Global Configuration, specify a gateway and nameserver. On my LAN, both of these values are the IP address of my router; your system may differ.

Note that you'll lose your connection to the GUI once the IP address changes and will need to reload it at the new IP address.

Example screenshots:
ip-config.jpg gateway-nameserver.jpg

Under Network->Interfaces, provide an IP address with subnet mask and turn off DHCP. Make sure the IP address you use isn't already in use on your LAN, or in the range of addresses used by your router's DHCP service.

Under Network->Global Configuration, specify a gateway and nameserver. On my LAN, both of these values are the IP address of my router; your system may differ.

Note that you'll lose your connection to the GUI once the IP address changes and will need to reload it at the new IP address.

Example screenshots:
View attachment 13216 View attachment 13217
I keep trying to do that but it won't take it or something because i'll input everything and i will try to access with new ip and it will load login page but I try to login and it times out.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Why can't I assign a static external ip to freenas.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by an "external ip"? Are you trying to have it accessible over the internet or something? If so, that is not a good idea.

Example screenshots:
View attachment 13216 View attachment 13217

Thats exactly what im trying to do it is an static ip address givin to me by my isp. I know its not recommended but thats what I need to do or i have to go back to windows and i dont what to do that.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Thats exactly what im trying to do it is an static ip address givin to me by my isp. I know its not recommended but thats what I need to do or i have to go back to windows and i dont what to do that.
Oh, Lord no! That's exactly the last thing you want to do!

Buy a cheap router and use that to connect to your ISP, attaching your PCs and FreeNAS server on its LAN ports.

Mirfster

Can anyone help me? Because I have a business that needs this setup just like this. I have already told then don't do it and they don't listen. I have explained this to them already. They need me to do this or they will get someone else. Help!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Can anyone help me? Because I have a business that needs this setup just like this. I have already told then don't do it and they don't listen. I have explained this to them already. They need me to do this or they will get someone else. Help!
Explain to them that it will only be a matter of time before their system is compromised by hackers.

And do you have any idea why they want to connect their server directly to the internet?

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
How many interfaces are enabled? Are you sure you are configuring the right one? Only 1 interface can be configured per subnet. Does the ISP require routing? That seems strange, usually it's just a default gateway.

And if it were me, I would let them find someone else. I wouldn't want to be responsible for installing a compromised server.

Mirfster

While I could, I won't. No offense, but here are my reasons:
  1. I personally would not have my own Server exposed to the Internet, let alone a Company/Client who is trusting my knowledge to guide them
  2. Cost is too great and *if* you are in the Consulting business, you are at a "Moral Cross-Road" in which you should side with the path of steering your client away from making this grievous mistake
  3. There are other viable options to provide a safe solution, which should be stressed to the Company/Client
    • Of course it really, really would help if the required result is clearly stated
  4. So they threatened you with "We will get someone else"... Big deal, then let some other schmuck be the scapegoat...
  5. If you are consulting for them in some manner, then I would be suspect about your abilities anyways (sorry if this sounds harsh). While this is really a trivial task that any consultant should know, they should also know that it is not even close to the right way to do it

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems

This business is playing fast and loose with their data, possibly even their own financial solvency, and if you help them do that, they will absolutely blame you for any foul-up in a heartbeat.

Immediately get hard copies and forward any email exchanges that you had where you indicate that doing this is a Horribly Bad Idea because I wouldn't put it past them to throw you under the bus even if you say no.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
@Mirfster and @HoneyBadger have made a good point. As a consultant, you have a sort of fiduciary duty to inform your client when they are about to make a very grave mistake. Draw up and ask them to sign a legal disclaimer in which they indemnify and hold you harmless from any damages which may ensue as a result of setting up their system this way. This might get their attention and lead to a better solution; at the very least it gets you off the hook in case they continue with their ill-advised plans.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
There is nothing in FreeNAS that would prevent this asinine configuration, but it's something with your network setup, not with the server.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Nope don't do this, send them an invoice with your current required payment for your time so far then walk away. There is zero reason to ever put a freenas system on the open Internet. Maybe a jail through port forwarding or using a dmz would be OK but not your actual system.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
So they threatened you with "We will get someone else"... Big deal, then let some other schmuck be the scapegoat...
It's possible that the OP is the "someone else" in the threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.