External Plex and torrent-download over share

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damned

Cadet
Hi!

I Installed FreeNAS yesterday. A bit overwhelmed of all features, but it seems to be capable with alot.
I managed to create a NFS share which I mounted in my ubuntu server.

This server is supposed to run Plex and handle torrent downloads (I do not wish to use the built in features in FreeNAS for this).
Basicly, I want deluged to download my media to a folder on FreeNAS which also acts as Plex media library so I don't have to move or handle any files manually.

Upon creating files on my NFS share I notice the permissions from Ubuntu apply, not FreeNAS.
I can not chmod or chown, I get a "operation not permitted" error. Fine. Surely there is a perfectly logic reason as to why this should not be allowed.

This is where I need your help though.
I am thinking I maybe could create a custom 777 umask for deluged and/or Plex, which should solve any future permission problems between Plex and deluged. Do you agree? Is this a good way to go about this?

I will then stream Plex to my home PC over a VPN. So I guess the only security concerns here would be anyone accessing the local network where FreeNAS resides?

I tried creating a plex user in FreeNAS and in Ubuntu, howevere I do not know how I map these to users. When mounting with plex as FreeNAS-share owner, ls -l gives me id 1002 for my plex user. I am guessing the ID is what is actually being used, not the username itself? (Yeah, as you're noticing, I am not all that familiar with linux yet).

Damned

Cadet
Were you able to figure this out?
Tbh I haven't been working on it since I posted.
But in theory, I think it will work. I've found a way to config the umask in deluged without having the change it for the entire system.
As far as best/safest solution. There are probably better ways. But this will "only" leave the LAN vulnerable, which is fine. Thank you for your interest!

Fuganater

Patron
You do not need a Plex user. If you are running the Plex desktop app, then it uses w/e user you are logged in as to access the folder you tell it to. So I am logged in as 'Fuganater' and the app is installed on my profile. If I have access to the NFS/CFIS share, the app has access. (At least that is how it works in Windows).

I highly suggest you install Plex on your FreeNAS box. It is much easier to setup and manage.

Damned

Cadet
For anyone interested:

It worked fine doing it this way. All machines are hidden behind a pfsense firewall with its own NAT, so it is secured from the "physical local network" the server resides at. However not the internal one (I have no idea of anyone understands what I'm trying to say here :D). I think it's secure enough though.

I did have some issues with Deluged, Plex and its different users. Seems Plex required to own the metadata folder. Worked fine to just create the structure with the su command as the plex user. As for the rest of the users, everything is 777 (found umask option for deluged), only for the sake of simplicity.

Right now, I need to speed up my scp transfer(250/250) meant to move 3TB data, however I am only getting 2MB/s >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.