External Hard drive attaching for copying data

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacAspirer

Dabbler
I am plannning to build a freenas machine, I have lot of data on the external hard drive, which i would like to get onto the freenas machine, is there a easy way to do it.
Does external hard drive get recognised by the freenas machine, can i copy stuff to freenas.
Transferring wirelessly takes a lot of time.

Please advise.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer

MacAspirer

Dabbler
i tried to look into the import section of the manual. I am worried if i add volume the data in the external drive will be completely formatted and deleted.
please some one help me to copy data on the external drive to the freenas server.

Bidule0hm

No, it won't happen. The manual even says what the background steps are (mount the drive, do the copy, unmount the drive), there's no problem at all.

Actually the only other method is to use the CLI and if you have to ask to do this in the CLI then there's a far greater risk you'll do something bad and lose some data than if you use the GUI import...

MacAspirer

Dabbler
ok, can anyone tell me how much time it take to copy 500 gb data to 1tb x 4 raidz freenas system

I am trying to report 4 gb flash drive, it is taking forever to copy. am i doing something wrong.

Bidule0hm

USB drives are slow...

USB 2.0 is max 60 MB/s (480 Mb/s) so 500 GB at 60 MB/s is 8333 seconds or 140 minutes or 2 hours and 20 minutes. This is the theorical maximum, in the real world it's often a bit less. Just be patient ;)

MacAspirer

Dabbler
i also have a follow up question, can freenas recognises exfat for copying the disk? it is not available as an option on the import disk section,

Bidule0hm

Honestly I don't know, and I don't want to say yes or no without knowing.

As a wild guess I'd say no because it's not in the list. But you should wait for a proper answer ;)

MacAspirer

Dabbler
ok thank you. looks like i am screwed..... I copied all the data on the exfat system. i guess i need to either convert to msdos file system.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
exfat is not supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.