Extend a volume in 9.3 without losing data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I recently installed FreeNAS 9.3 in a VM for a lab environment. I have a single 1TB HD and I created a 200GB Volume from it.

I thought that I was going to be able to create more volumes using the unpartitioned space on that 1 TB disk, but now, when I go to the Volume Manager I dont see any disks available.

I can, however, select the already created 200 GB Volume and then click below on the "Extend Volume" button, but that does not do anything. I still see the same available space in the Volume.

I see the option of "Add Volume", but that says that the "Existing data will be cleared" and I definitely don't want to lose any of the data that I've stored in the first 200 GB volume.

How can I successfully extend those 200GB to, let's say, 300GB?

Thanks.

Alfonso

danb35

Hall of Famer
How did you create a 200GB volume on a 1TB drive? FreeNAS will use the entire drive, so I suspect you used your hypervisor to create a 200 GB virtual disk. If that's the case, you need to use your hypervisor to create another virtual disk (of whatever size you want), which you can then use to extend your volume in FreeNAS.

Be aware that if you're using this for anything other than testing, and certainly if you're storing any sort of important data, you're very much playing with fire.

Doh! You ate totally right and I was being silly. Thanks for pointing that out.
I don't know how that huge fact had slipped my mind... I have too many things in my head at the moment >.<

Thank you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.