Extend Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grantp

Contributor
Hi,

I currently have 10x3TB WD Red drives in a Raidz2 configuration. I am at 75% usage. In the same machine I have 6x4TB Hitachi drives. Am I able to extend my existing volume using the 6x4TB drives.
In the Volume Manage can I pick 'Volume to Extend' select my existing volume then add my 6x4TB as a Raidz2 then click 'Extend Volume'.

Sorry if this is a simple / daft question but I'd rather ask before I do something wrong and lose all my data.

Many thanks
Grant

danb35

Hall of Famer
In the Volume Manage can I pick 'Volume to Extend' select my existing volume then add my 6x4TB as a Raidz2 then click 'Extend Volume'.
Sure can, and that's exactly how it's supposed to work. It's not an optimal configuration--it tends to be best if all your vdevs are the same--but it should work well and be safe.

Dice

Wizard
Best would be to pick up another box of drives to setup 2x vdevs 10drives wide raidz2. But $$$.
....the dark side of initial space efficiency setups :'(

Grantp

Contributor
Thank you both for prompt replies.

I am getting following msg.

'You are trying to add a virtual device consisting of 6 device(s) in a pool that has a virtual device consisting of 10 device(s)'

Do I have to do this through the 'Manual Setup' option of 'Volume Manager'

Last edited:

Grantp

Contributor
So I did it via the 'Manual Setup' all worked OK so lets see how long it takes me to fill this up.

Just to make sure I have this right in my head. I have 2 Raidz2 vdev's in my pool so I am able to lose 2 drives from each vdev (so 4 drives total) is that correct or is it 2 drives in total no matter which vdev they are in?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I have 2 Raidz2 vdev's in my pool so I am able to lose 2 drives from each vdev (so 4 drives total) is that correct
That is correct. You can lose up to 2 drives in each vdev without loosing the pool.

gpsguy

If you want to verify your work, do a zpool status

You should see 2 - RAIDz2 groups of disks, listed under your pool name.

Status
Not open for further replies.