Experienced my first HDD failure in 15 years...hear the HDD scream in agony!

Status
Not open for further replies.

traderjay

Explorer
Well I guess HDD Satan decided to visit me for the first time in my life and one of my seagate HDD failed a horrible death - it is the notorious Seagate 3TB Barracuda, one of the worst HDDs are rated by Rackblaze - https://www.backblaze.com/blog/3tb-hard-drive-failure/

The good thing with FreeNAS is (HDD used in NAS box) the system has started warning me via email on SMART error beginning with this:

First Warning - Bad sectors are appearing (I thought no big deal, after all the drive is almost 4 years old
Device: /dev/da0 [SAT], 8 Offline uncorrectable sectors
Device: /dev/da0 [SAT], 8 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

Second Warning:
Device: /dev/da0 [SAT], 112 Offline uncorrectable sectors
Device: /dev/da0 [SAT], 112 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

Third Warning:
The volume HTPC (ZFS) state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.

Fourth Warning
Device: /dev/da0 [SAT], ATA error count increased from 0 to 43 The volume HTPC (ZFS) state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an unrecoverable error. An attempt was made to correct the error. Applications are unaffected.

Fourth Warning
Device: /dev/da0 [SAT], unable to open device
Device: /dev/da0 [SAT], ATA error count increased from 0 to 43 The volume HTPC (ZFS) state is UNAVAIL: One or more devices could not be opened. There are insufficient replicas for the pool to continue functioning.
Device: /dev/da0 [SAT], 8 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors (changed -65368)
Device: /dev/da0 [SAT], 8 Offline uncorrectable sectors (changed -65368) The volume HTPC (ZFS) state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected.

Too bad all the critical error happened around around 2 am so all the data (mostly useless) are kaput...but the warning system is very elegant and don't we wish Windows has the same features :D

CraigD

Patron
Did you get this message?

The volume NAMEOFVOLUME (ZFS) state is DEGRADED: One or more devices could
not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue
functioning in a degraded state.

Status
Not open for further replies.