Problem fixin Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

jafisher2000

Cadet
Device: /dev/da0 [SAT], 8 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors. When I run smartctl -l selftest /dev/da0 I get #20 Extended offline Completed without error 00% 4431. How to fix. Thanks

If's the extended SMART test doesn't fail then the pending sectors are "false positives", you can just ignore them, but a full disk write, with dd for example, will usually clear them.

jafisher2000

Cadet
Thanks for the quick reply. I have limited knowledge of Linux. How would I need to go about doing the full disk write. I have 2 6TB HDD's mirrored.

You'd need to offline the disk (that would leave the pool with no redundancy for the duration), use dd:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/daX bs=4k

Then resilver the disk.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Sometimes, you get many more bad sectors. Pending sectors sometimes clear up but not always. Do the extended test, that is the real test of the drive. A short test doesn't inspect the surface of the disk the way a long test does.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

jafisher2000

Cadet
Sometimes, you get many more bad sectors. Pending sectors sometimes clear up but not always. Do the extended test, that is the real test of the drive. A short test doesn't inspect the surface of the disk the way a long test does.
If you read my post you will see that a extended test was ran

smartctl -l selftest /dev/da0 I get #20 Extended offline Completed without error 00% 4431

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If you read my post you will see that a extended test was ran
Completely not the point. Sometimes bad sectors are just bad sectors and there is no fixing it, it just gets worse. The drive may need to be replaced. Look at the troubleshooting link I provided, do some testing, and be prepared to replace the drive.