Expected performance over 1x Gb Ethernet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukzerosniper

Cadet
Hi Guys and Gals,

Im just testing transfer speeds with our FreeNAS. Its only just setup for the first time.

At the moment I am using only 1 Gb Ethernet connection on the FreeNAS box. It connects to a Gb switch, then my PC also connects to the same switch.

With this connection the max Write speeds I have seen are 66MB/s. Does that sound about what we would expect or does that sound a bit slow? It seems to me im utilizing around 1/2 the available bandwith.

Im running FreeNAS 8.3

Im using a HP DL 380 with 2x 3.6GHz XEON, 1GB RAM, 1x 76GB 10,000RPM Hard Disk.

Thanks Guys

gpsguy

Read section 1.4.2 in the manual about RAM requirements and how it affects performance.

btw, in the future, please let us know what protocol you're using for your tests. As an example, you might find FTP faster than CIFS.

unijabnx2000

Dabbler
Which service are you using?

I use iSCSI and the most I have seen has been ~800Mb/s max on my setup. (I also made a thread about my system not using the RAM)

Doubleslash

Cadet
I am facing a similar behaviour... also with the above mentioned 60 MB/s. I have a ProLiant N36L Microserver with 1GB RAM and four 2TB 7,2k DIsks (2x HD20UI F4 and 2x WD20EARX) in RAID10 Striped-Mirror configuration using FreeNAS 8.3.1-RC1 and ZFS (not RAIDZ but just mirror). Using dd with 1MB block size I can roughly see 95MB/s write (from /dev/zero) and 70 MB/s read (to /dev/null). Using AFP I can see something around 60 MB/s read and write with large files (>5GB).
I am coming from FreeNAS 7 where I had previously only the two SAMSUNG drives in a geom mirror using UFS and I got 95 MB/s read and write over AFP.
Using iperf I can saturate the 1GbE connection with roughly 117 MB/s in each direction so it's definitely the change to ZFS what made it slower. I have read the documentation part for adding RAM... that's why I just ordered 8GB RAM for my Microserver. However I don't need how this relates to strictly sequential read and write performance...

Status
Not open for further replies.