Everything opens as "Read Only"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLSegraves

Explorer
For some reason everything on my FreeNAS box only wants to open as "Read Only." I have tried setting a guest account and I've tried making individual user accounts (both with and without passwords). I have all the permissions on the drive set to give owner/group/other all full read/write/execute permission.

I've been going around and around with this, but can't seem to fine a solution. I can make a new file and save it to the network drive just find. The issue comes once I close the file (on the drive), when I reopen it, it comes up read only and I can't write to it again (makes me save the file as a new file). I can delete files, move files, etc., I just can't get anything to open in edit mode.

What could I be missing?

Here's my system info:
Hostname freenas.local
Build FreeNAS-9.2.2-ALPHA-7e1594b-x64
Platform Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz
Memory 8168MB
System Time Fri May 23 10:21:20 PDT 2014
Uptime 10:21AM up 3:40, 0 users
Load Average 0.98, 0.55, 0.23

Thanks everyone.
Chris

D

dlavigne

What type of share? What type of permissions on the share?

CLSegraves

Explorer
What type of share? What type of permissions on the share?
Windows CIFS with both "inherit owner and inherit permissions" checked.

Is there any reason you're running 9.2.2 alpha? If not, you should install 9.2.1.5 (current release) and try again.
Tried the latest that was out there when I upgraded a while back. I'll give 9.2.1.5 a shot.

CLSegraves

Explorer
Okay, so I installed 9.2.1.5 and am back at it. It seems that if I create a specific user with a password
ex:
User = Fred
Password = 1234

then set the drive owner to Fred, and map the drive using "Fred" and "1234" on the map, everything works.

But when I go put the drive owner as "Guest" and set the share to "Allow Guest Access", I am back to not being able to write (everything opens "read only"). So I'm really confused.

CLSegraves

Explorer
Now I can't even see the dang thing. For some reason its as if CIFS has stopped working completely. I can't switch off CIFS service (get an error saying "The service could not be stopped") and no matter what I do, it never shows up on my Windows network. I don't know where to turn.

Also getting an error in the console message that says "Performing sanity check on Samba configuration: FAILED". I did a search and ran into another thread where someone had this issue. I tried the following in the shell and got this"

[root@freenas ~]# testparm /usr/local/etc/smb.conf
Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb.conf
max_open_files: increasing sysctl_max (11095) to minimum Windows limit (16384) rlimit_max: increasing
rlimit_max (11095) to minimum Windows limit (16384) params.c:OpenConfFile() - Unable to open configuration file "/usr/local/etc/smb. conf": No such file or directory
Error loading services.
[root@freenas ~]#

solarisguy

Guru
If you are using 9.2.1.5 and Samba, then you need to use a patch from
https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/4874

Note #11 to the bug 4874 says to use SSH, since you cannot execute fixup.sh in the shell window of the GUI ! :( That is due to the patch script shutting down the GUI before the patching is done (service django stop).

Thus you have to start SSH service, and login to your FreeNAS as root using SSH client (for example PuTTY for Windows). And only then execute the five steps from the note #11 to the bug 4874.

CLSegraves

Explorer
Still having issues with Samba. I applied the patch through PuTTY but I still can't get CIFS to work correctly. Is this one of those things I'm going to have to do a clean install to cure?

solarisguy

Guru
It might be better to start anew. Install the patch and then start CIFS.

I cannot offer any advice on how to setup permissions, since that depends on both of details of your environment and your exact needs.

CLSegraves

Explorer
I'm really stumped now. I did a clean install with 9.2.1.5, installed the patch through PuTTY, and I can't get CIFS to start AT ALL. Is there a test I can run to see what would be preventing CIFS from starting?

edit: I did another install of the patch and was able to get CIFS to "switch on" (the slider in services switched to "on"), however I still can't see the nas so I'm doubting that CIFS is really working.

solarisguy

Guru
In a SSH session you can do
tail -99 /var/log/messages

Can you ping FreeNAS IP address, from Windows? I am sure that yes you can, since you are connecting to FreeNAS through GUI and PuTTY.

Can you map your share using FreeNAS IP address?
Can you browse to the share using FreeNAS IP address?

When enabling CIFS did you change from the default YES to NO for Browsable to Network Clients?

Did you change any of the CIFS default options?
Try changing Hostname lookups from the default YES, to NO

CLSegraves

Explorer
Before I go any further, thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it!

So I entered "tail -99 /var/log/messages" this morning. When I reviewed the output, what I found was for the past 8 hours (since last reboot) it has been near constant:

smbd not running? (check /var/run/samba/smbd.pid)
with the occasional
Performing sanity check on Samba configuration: FAILED
over and over again. So it really looks like something with Samba is all messed up.

solarisguy

Guru
Let's go back to the very beginning...

Is this your CPU?
http://ark.intel.com/products/27248/
Intel Core2 Duo Processor E6300 (2M Cache, 1.86 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)

You have 8GB of RAM, but what are your disk drives?

Do you have ECC RAM installed?

Can you shutdown FreeNAS and test you system RAM using Memtest86 or Memtest86+ (regardless of the answer to the above)?

CLSegraves

Explorer
Yes, that is the CPU.

I'll run Memtest86 and report back on that. I'm guessing the RAM is non ECC RAM (I had never even heard of ECC RAM until you asked). I read cyberjock's writeup on ECC vs non-ECC. I'll check the RAM and confirm if it is/isn't ECC RAM. If it isn't ECC, I'll be changing that out asap.

The drives are:
- 2 Seagate 500Gigs mirrored
- 2 Seagate 1.5TBs mirrored
- 1 Seagate 2TB
Do you need the actual model info? If so, I can pull the drives and get the data.

CLSegraves

Explorer
Looking at memory, I know the current memory is PC2-6400 (800MHz). For ECC RAM, the difference between PC2-5300 (667MHz) and PC2-6400 is quite a bit (~$35 vs $100). Would the "slower" RAM be an issue? I can't imagine I would see much of a performance drop.

CLSegraves

Explorer
Well, update/found problem. 9.2.1.5 sucks.

I stumbled onto an old hard disk that had 9.1 on it (when I upgraded from 8.x to 9.1, I didn't yet have a flash drive so I installed in on a spare hard disk). I popped that hard disk into my desktop, booted it up, and immediately could find the "new nas" on my network. I could attach drives (spare drives), change the netBIOS name, and everything was immediate to update across the network. I then upgraded to 9.2.1.5 (didn't change ANYTHING else), which immediately broke CIFS.

So now I'm stuck with a major issue. As I understand it (which could be wrong), there is no way to "roll back" from 9.2 to 9.1 (I tried that yesterday and couldn't import my ZFS storage). But, I'll ask anyways. Is there any way I can roll back to 9.1 without destroying my ZFS? If not, I have to figure out a way to get the data off my ZFS storage before I roll back.

solarisguy

Guru
The major zpool difference is between FreeNAS 8.x, and FreeNAS 9.x. If you moved from 8.x, to 9.x and did not perform pool upgrade, then you will only be getting warnings about 512bytes, versus 4k alignment...

Your motherboard will or will not be capable of ECC RAM, but given its age I would consider budgeting for a system upgrade (CPU, motherboard, RAM) instead.

Please run a memory test anyway.

I was asking about amount of storage, since I was afraid that your system could be underpowered.

CLSegraves

Explorer
More info. I have not tried installing 9.2.1.3 yet as I have been running Memtest. 4 hours later, zero errors on the memory.

The ZFS pools were built with 9.2.2 Alpha (I did a complete rebuild with new ZFS pools when I went from 8.x to 9.x).

What I did find is that NFS works just fine (well, I can see and access through NFS.... not able to map just yet). So the entire problem seems to be a Samba issue. I'll try rolling back to 9.2.1.3 next (already tried 9.2.1.6 Beta last night and that didn't fix it).

Status
Not open for further replies.