etc/hosts doesn't stay saved after reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

pingmonster

Dabbler
HI..
It all started with proftpd does not start and it turns out my /etc/hosts file does not have my ip and host name. (ftp still does not work -- another question, another day)

So I manully edited via using nano.
It now has
w.x.y.z blahblah.local

but once I reboot it all disappears....

How can I make this stay saved?

ohnename

Explorer
I had the same problem. Even if I type mount -uw / every changes I made in /etc disappear after a reboot. After searching a bit, I found that I have to make the changes in /conf/base/etc because thats whats read on boot. If you change your hosts file there it is also automatically changed in /etc after a reboot. But I still have to type mount -uw / first before I change the file in /conf/base/etc

pingmonster

Dabbler
Thank you for that.
But how would you make a change in that file.
It is read-only file and even root cannot change that.

ohnename

Explorer
1) You can login as root and use vi. If you are root and you have make the filesystem wrtitable then you can change the hosts file or file permissions.
2) Easier is to use WinSCP, configure first ssh for root access and enable the ssh service. Now you can browse with WinSCP thru your filesystem and change what you want, even file permissions. Before you change something, open a terminal in WinSCP with control+T and type mount -uw / that the filesystem is writable.

pingmonster

Dabbler
Thanks ohnename.
That worked fine.
Now....Back to FTP and Lagg0 with jumbo frame problems.....

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.