Error When Creating a Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie J

Cadet
I am having trouble with an install of new hard drives into a clone machine running ver 8.3.2. The install was prompted by a bad HD that was corrupting files. The old drives that were were WD Blue series 1 TB were configured Raid Stripe.. The new drives are WD Red series 2 TB which I was trying to configure Raid Mirror. I am booting from a USB Stick. The problem I am having is that when I go to Create a Volume I get a message that an error occurred. There is no error number, just that an error has occurred. In my experimenting for a solution I have tried both Raid Mirror and Raid Stripe and no Raid. In each case I get the same error. The things I have done are: resetting the HD's in the raid bios when a change in the Raid config was being attempted, I have run fsck several times and errors have been found and fixed. The computer is confgured as follows: an ASUS Motherboard with 8GB RAM, a bios that supports raid technology, and the WD Red HD's are new out of the box. In addition to the 2 raid HD's there is a third 1 TB drive is configured to stand alone. This machine is used as a network storage device at a Lutheran elementary school with about 50 computers accessing the storage device. I plan to check the MB mfr for bios updates. Is the third HD causing problems ? Should I be upgrading to a more recent version of freenas? Are there any other ideas anyone has to share?

Yatti420

Wizard
Your using a raid card or RAID aswell as attempting to use ZFS? You want to flash the raid card to JBOD or you risk losing the entire pool..

As for the drives you should probably be using reds for that kind of access.. That being said a mirror is better then nothing .. Striping will be a disaster.. Should look at doc.freenas.org

I think you should consider upgrading as 8.3.2 is pretty old.. Using fschk are you running UFS or ZFS?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.