Error: The firmware is invalid when upgrading from 8.2.0 to 8.3.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAnim8

Cadet
Hi, I'm getting the "Error: The firmware is invalid" message when trying to upgrade from the UI.
My current version: FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950)
The file I downloaded: FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-x64.GUI_Upgrade.txz
I verified using "sha256 /var/tmp/firmware/firmware.txz" that the SHA256 hash I have is correct (1808f0466a91f08ebb9da64d5b15b7af055620fec74d01d65dd05d806d511e0c <-- the forum adds a space)
I even tried the hash in upper case.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there another way to update the firmware without a DVD/CD-ROM drive?

thanks!

S

sef

I suppose I should have clarified: I am already running 8.3.0, not 8.2.0; my agreement was on the checksum failure.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
For me the only time I've read on the forum or seen a checksum failure was when the file and the checksum didn't match. So either the file is corrupted or you aren't using the matching checksum file.

Don't do what someone else did and when they found the checksum of the file on his machine didn't match the checksum the FreeNAS download webpage said it should be he simply used the "new" checksum so that it wouldn't give a checksum failure. He wasn't thrilled with the results...

MrAnim8

Cadet
The workaround of upgrading first to 8.3.0 then to 8.3.1 worked for me. Thanks!
As a side note: this means that the 8.3.1 firmware file I downloaded and it's sha256 hash were correct and not corrupted in any way.

S

sef

Since I'm already running 8.3.0... how would that make a difference?

MrAnim8

Cadet
Since I'm already running 8.3.0... how would that make a difference?

Oh, I was replying to my original post, not yours. It does show that it's definitely a bug and not a problem with downloading the right file / hash.
Sorry that doesn't really help you though. :(

Sounds like you should back up your configuration, do a fresh install, and then load your configuration back.

S

sef

I don't see a particular huge need to do that, to get to 8.3.1; I didn't see anything in that that I needed. (I'm not going to be doing encrypted ZFS, which seemed like the biggest thing.)

I am, however, more than a little concerned that this is happening. If it's happening for only some people, then that means the checksum is valid -- but there's a bug somewhere in the code. And if it's there, then that means it can crop up again, perhaps when it really is important.

Very worrisome.

Status
Not open for further replies.