8.2.0 to 9.1 Release - "Firmware Invalid"

Status
Not open for further replies.

freshfeesh

Explorer
I'm upgrading via the GUI from
FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950) (copied from the system info in the GUI)
to
FreeNAS-9.1.0-RELEASE-x64.GUI_Upgrade.txz (the file I downloaded)
and get the following error:
freenas manage.py: [middleware.exceptions:38] [MiddlewareError: The firmware is invalid]
The SHA-256 checksum of the downloaded install file is good per a third party checker. I paste the checksum from the download page into the appropriate box in the GUI and the update proceeds to 100%, then throws the error.

I'm hoping to avoid a fresh install. What's my next step?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
save config to your desktop/laptop
install new image to USB thumbdrive
boot
load config from WebGUI

all your settings should restore

freshfeesh

Explorer
as in, give up on trying to get the GUI upgrade to work?

gpsguy

While you want to avoid a fresh install, that's what pirateghost recommended. Just save your configuration file beforehand and restore it afterwards.

as in, give up on trying to get the GUI upgrade to work?

freshfeesh

Explorer
OK, thanks for the advice. I'm sure you've both saved me a few hours of screwing around with it.

Is this just a random thing that crops up with certain unique configs and certain updates? Should I be worried about anything?

gpsguy

I wouldn't worry about it. Some of the pre-release versions didn't support the upgrade, since they had a larger footprint, ~3.8Gb vs ~2Gb.

If you have a spare flash drive, you might want to do the install on it. If something did go wrong, you still have your old install.

freshfeesh

Explorer
Done. It actually went fairly quickly, contrary to my first time experience, and spurred me to go through and double check and tweak all the basic settings, which was needed. Thanks gents.

echpiel

Cadet
If anybody else finds this problem, just upgrade first to 8.3.0-p1 using the GUI. Then you can upgrade to 8.3.1-p2 or 9.1.

cheongi

Dabbler
Can't get from 8.3.0-p1-x64 to 8.3.1-p2-x64 with a GUI upgrade. Download SHA256 verified independently. Got the same "Firmware invalid" message. ISO boot won't upgrade. So I guess I'm looking a some new thumb drives. Does this have anything to do with ZFS version (still on 15)????

Status
Not open for further replies.