Error flashing IBM 1015 to IT mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuganater

Patron
No, that port is connect that backplane to another backplane. (Stacked chassis for 1 system) Try the middle port.

pcmofo

Explorer
No, that port is connect that backplane to another backplane. (Stacked chassis for 1 system) Try the middle port.
Annnnnnd.... The middle port works! Can I be this bad at reading directions? Here is a shot of the J0/J1/J2 connectors on my backplane. I assumed J0 was the way to go because it says HBA or higher backplane...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449156350.786927.jpg

Either way, thanks a ton for your help with this. It appears the backplane and LSI card are working transparently now and drives appear in FreeNAS.!

Now I just need to figure out how to get FreeNAS to use the 24 HDD blinky lights on the backplane.

Fuganater

Patron
Glad it worked.

What lights? The blue lights should be lit when there is activity on that drive.

pcmofo

Explorer
Glad it worked.

What lights? The blue lights should be lit when there is activity on that drive.
well I haven't setup a service or share to start writing to it yet so if that is the case then their is no activity on the lights. I was also looking for a way to "id" a specific drive so I could replace it in the future. eg select a drive from the list and tell it to blink the light so I know which drive to swap out that failed.

Fuganater

Patron
So what I did was run bad blocks on each drive. When the light turned on, I wrote the da# down and what bay it is in. I then recorded it in the disk view. Now since I heard the da# numbers can change but at least I have a general idea where they are in the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well I haven't setup a service or share to start writing to it yet so if that is the case then their is no activity on the lights. I was also looking for a way to "id" a specific drive so I could replace it in the future. eg select a drive from the list and tell it to blink the light so I know which drive to swap out that failed.

What I saw and plan to do myself was to make a label that just has the serial number where it is visible easily. This way no matter what id number it is you can always look at the serial number and have the correct drive. Since you have a backplane it would be pretty easy to just attach a label to the outside of the sled.

Could also just give each sled an ID number and make it correspond with the drive in the software notes and make a hard copy of it as well.

pcmofo

Explorer
What I saw and plan to do myself was to make a label that just has the serial number where it is visible easily. This way no matter what id number it is you can always look at the serial number and have the correct drive. Since you have a backplane it would be pretty easy to just attach a label to the outside of the sled.

Could also just give each sled an ID number and make it correspond with the drive in the software notes and make a hard copy of it as well.

I guess I was looking for more like this setup where the offending hard drive blinks red... from the video it appears that the LSI controller is handling this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bU6zMe-KCI

I know what you mean. Sometimes though it is simpler to just do things low tech, makes it easier when things are on the fritz. At least until someone thinks it's funny to start moving things around and changing your nice hardwired mouse to be for a lefty and mapping your keyboard as dvorak.

Fuganater

Patron
There are 2 active threads on that right now actually. Check them out and see if they made any progress.

pcmofo

Explorer
I installed 6x 4tb Red Pro drives and tried to run smartctl on the drives and I can't on any of them.

smartctl -i /dev/da2
smartctl 6.3 2014-07-26 r3976 [FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p28 amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-14, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org
/dev/xpt0 control device couldn't opened: Permission denied
Unable to get CAM device list
/dev/da2: Unable to detect device type
Please specify device type with the -d option.
Use smartctl -h to get a usage summary

any idea whats going on?

Fuganater

Patron
Why are you using -i ? Try this

Code:
smartctl -t short /dev/adaX

pcmofo

Explorer
Why are you using -i ? Try this

Code:
smartctl -t short /dev/adaX
None of the smartctl commands are working including -i just asking for the info from the drive. I'm guessing this could be due to the sas backplane or 1015 card... they are both supposed to be passthrough though...

pcmofo

Explorer
jgreco solved my smartctl issue... I was not ssh'd in as root when running the commands o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.