Error creating new VM with custom Disk location

zwilcoxen

Cadet
When trying to create a new Linux VM on my freenas 11.2 server and when i redirect the Disk to install to a custom location i receive the below warning,

the custom location is in the following directory structure mnt/iocage(dataset)/VM_Datafiles(dataset) i then set this VM to create a new zvol nested in here and get the below error.

Error: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 161, in call_method result = await self.middleware.call_method(self, message) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1109, in call_method return await self._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=app, io_thread=False) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1049, in _call return await methodobj(*args) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/service.py", line 278, in create f'{self._config.namespace}.create', self, self.do_create, [data] File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1049, in _call return await methodobj(*args) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 664, in nf return await f(*args, **kwargs) File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 956, in do_create raise verrors middlewared.service_exception.ValidationErrors: [ENOENT] vm_create.devices.1.attributes.zvol_name: Parent dataset iocage/VM_Datafiles does not exist.

I have checked and when i create the disk to the default location or when i manually create the zvol and point the VM to this i have no issues.

I am 99.999% sure this is a me / not best practice issue but any insight would be greatly appreciated.

D

dlavigne

Please create a report at bugs.freenas.org and post the issue number here.

zwilcoxen

Cadet
Bug #71013

I'm having this same issue. However, I'm relatively new to FreeNAS and not a comfortable shell user. I'm attempting to install Ubuntu on a VM in a custom directory just like the OP.

Any updates?

zwilcoxen

Cadet
Hi, Which version are you running, This should be resolved in 11.2-U3.

Also I have learnt that this is technically not a bug. The bug is that you should not be able to save VM's to the IOCage dataset.

Are you able to create the VM if you select a different location outside IOCage?

hemi

Dabbler
I am also having this problem Created a folder using smb through windows on my freenas system to put my virtual machines. Can't use that folder to create a VM

Hi, Which version are you running, This should be resolved in 11.2-U3.

Also I have learnt that this is technically not a bug. The bug is that you should not be able to save VM's to the IOCage dataset.

Are you able to create the VM if you select a different location outside IOCage?
I wasn't able to create the VM outside of the iocage, which was the only location I attempted. I only tried to create the VM, though, I didn't create anything else ahead of it. I looked around for resources on creating VMs using the GUI, but I mostly found ones that use command line. Do you know of any good video-resources?

zwilcoxen

Cadet
I wasn't able to create the VM outside of the iocage, which was the only location I attempted. I only tried to create the VM, though, I didn't create anything else ahead of it. I looked around for resources on creating VMs using the GUI, but I mostly found ones that use command line. Do you know of any good video-resources?

This is the one i used, It is for the legacy interface but he also has a few other handy videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2q0FYqWaVo&list=PLGbfidALQauI6OCXrff4t-p_W6AhtMxIV&index=4