Can't edit my bhyve VM.

KevDog

Patron
OK -- specs of FreeNas listed below -- I'm using 11.2-U5

I have one bhyve created VM (Ubuntu). The VM is stopped. It was created with 1 vCPU and 2048Mb memory. I'm trying to edit the VM to change both the CPU count and memory. After changing the specs and pushing the Save button -- I keep getting a Path is required (written in red) and it won't allow me to save the VM. I've included a picture: https://imagebin.ca/v/4noqClTtSVjy. What do I need to do? Clearly the command seems to be looking for a path the GUI isn't passing it.

I also tried cloning the VM (just trying to debug problem -- however I received a similar error -- but with more output) -- I'm not sure if this is related

Code:
Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 167, in call_method
    result = await self.middleware.call_method(self, message)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1098, in call_method
    return await self._call(message['method'], serviceobj, methodobj, params, app=app, io_thread=False)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1046, in _call
    return await methodobj(*args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 664, in nf
    return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 1436, in clone
    raise e
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 1419, in clone
    await self.create(vm)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/service.py", line 290, in create
    f'{self._config.namespace}.create', self, self.do_create, [data]
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/main.py", line 1046, in _call
    return await methodobj(*args)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/schema.py", line 664, in nf
    return await f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/middlewared/plugins/vm.py", line 963, in do_create
    raise verrors
middlewared.service_exception.ValidationErrors: [EINVAL] vm_create.devices.2.attributes.path: Path is required.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
I don't know if these suggestions will work, I tried to duplicate your situation but I did not have any problems for a simple Ubuntu install to change those values.

Have you tried to enter a Description and click Save? Your Description field is blank.
Have you tried to reboot the FreeNAS system?
Have you tried to create the VM all over again to see if the problem remains? I'm sure you would select the desired vCPUs and RAM but could you repeat everything exactly as it was done before. If the problem is repeatable then please submit a bug report.
If you just abort the entry does your VM still work? Just some good info to have.

Best of luck to you.

KevDog

Patron
Thanks for reply

1. I tried entering a description -- same result
2. I rebooted FreeNAS -- same resulte
3. Didn't try to recreate VM -- difficult but not impossible
4. VM does boot --- however I've got a problem on booting the VM -- during the boot process it gets stuck at A start job is running for Create Volatile Files and Directories ( Xmin Ys / no limit). I referenced this page -- https://unix.stackexchange.com/ques...is-running-for-create-volatile-files-and-dire. Seems like the /tmp directory is full. I want to temporarily increase RAM size to get around this mess but this doesn't seem to be an option. I'm open to other suggestions. Frankly I'm disappointed the entire process just doesn't work.

KrisBee

Wizard
Boot your Ubuntu VM from the same installation iso your created it from and use "rescue" mode to mount VM's filesystem. Inspect /tmp and if full clear out the old stuff as suggested in that stack exchange post.

KevDog

Patron
Hey thanks for help. I'm really having a problem getting around this error. I booted to emergency mode as described here: https://www.linuxtechi.com/boot-ubuntu-18-04-debian-9-rescue-emergency-mode/

Once in emergency mode I re-mounted the root file system for read/write access:
# mount -o remount,rw /

Once inside the tmp directory -- I issued an ls command -- however the cursor set at this point for seemingly ever. (It wouldn't do this in any of the other root directories, which I'm surmising because the tmp directory is so large??? -- du -sh tmp command also just sat at the cursor similar to the ls command)

Perhaps I'm not doing the process you mentioned correctly. My install medium with the Ubuntu Server iso (Not the traditional desktop iso). I put the iso into the cd-rom drive and booted to the iso, however it just booted straight to the install section with the first option to select language. Perhaps I'm not the process correctly.

***Find a workaround -- renamed tmp to tmp_old and then just recreated the tmp directory with appropriate permissions. I then was able to recursively find and delete directories within the /tmp_old directory. I've never had problems with /tmp being filled before crashing the system from booting -- weird.

Last edited:

KevDog

Patron
Ok - thanks for help -- however just curious -- is there a way to change the properties of the VM itself after creation?