Error booting - something was corrupted and I have no idea what

Status
Not open for further replies.

timtalkshow

Cadet
So I've been up and running wit FreeNAS for close to a year now, booting up from a USB device, definitely in the 'set it and forget it' mode. It's worked well in the past, and I have not had any issues. Set up my users, ppl logging in, copying files, etc etc, no complaints. None. I've had two drives in RAID 1.

Then recently, it's been getting errors and it has completely disabled the bootup process, and I have no idea what's wrong. Leave it up to me to do all the legwork to get it initially installed and whatnot, but completely forget what I've done some time down the line. I don't even remember what version of FreeNAS I've installed, but I think it's 7.

Nonetheless, the last few lines go something like this (and forgive me, as I don't even know how to export the logs to copy here):

SMP: AP CPU 31 Launched!
GEOM: da0s1: geometry does not match label (16h,63s != 255h,63s).
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a
mount: /dev/ufs/FreeNASs3 : No such file or directory
mount -o ro /dev/ufs/FreeNASs3 /conf/default/etc failed: dropping into /bin/sh
#

Then it leaves me here w/ the cursor. Apologies for the hand copied lines, but I'm doing the best w/ what I've got.

My first glance is that perhaps something got corrupted in the small handful of times I lost power and it shut down abruptly w/o doing it the proper way. Or maybe, the image on the USB drive corrupted itself or something.

anyone have any ideas for this noob?

cyberjock

Inactive Account

timtalkshow

Cadet
Apologies, as I thought I was using FreeNAS 7.0, not ".7". I thought that was some weird beta version. It's been quite a wihle since I've installed it and it didn't show the version number (that I could see/track w/ my eyes) in the boot up sequence.

Thanks for the quick response!

- - - Updated - - -

side question, how easy would it be for me to just install FreeNAS 8 on a new thumb drive, and swap it out? Given all the errors, would it pick up right where it left off?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I've never used FreeNAS before 8.0, but from what I've heard of people that have upgraded, there is no "direct" upgrade. You'd basically be installing FreeNAS 8, then resetting up everything from scratch but retaining your data.

Your data should be importable into FreeNAS 8. I say should because FreeNAS prior to 8.0 didn't always use partitions for ZFS(it was device wide) and FreeNAS 8 can't import that stuff. I'm not sure how you go about solving that problem well enough to use 8.0. I know you can import it via command line, but then you have the issue with the GUI not knowing that the new zpool has been mounted. Then things start getting uglier from there.

FreeNAS 8 is made by different developers. The real developers from FreeNAS .7 went to the NAS4Free project. Some features from FreeNAS .7 aren't in FreeNAS 8, but FreeNAS 8 has stuff FreeNAS .7/NAS4Free doesn't have.

Personally, if I were in your shoes I'd read up on both FreeNAS 8 and NAS4Free. Perhaps try each on a different USB stick and play around a little and see which one you like more. I know NAS4Free tends to run better with less RAM than FreeNAS 8, but FreeNAS 8 supports the jail functions which can be extremely handy for many people. I'd say that if you can't auto-import a ZFS partition from your old install you are probably limited to using NAS4Free unless you have a plan to wipe the drives and start over.

Ultimately the choice of which one to use is more of a personal choice than anything else for most people.

paleoN

Wizard
I say should because FreeNAS prior to 8.0 didn't always use partitions for ZFS(it was device wide) and FreeNAS 8 can't import that stuff.
This is wrong. FreeNAS 8 can import pools that use full devices just fine. I've even helped someone in the past who originally had a FN .7 pool, using whole disks, do a disk replace, IIRC.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
This is wrong. FreeNAS 8 can import pools that use full devices just fine. I've even helped someone in the past who originally had a FN .7 pool, using whole disks, do a disk replace, IIRC.

Then I stand corrected. I remember someone had used FreeNAS .7 and when upgrading the auto-import didn't work. It was said in that thread it was because his ZFS was whole disk and not in partitions. I never used FreeNAS .7 at all so I can't vouch for anything about it, not even what the GUI looked like. /shrug

paleoN

Wizard
Then I stand corrected. I remember someone had used FreeNAS .7 and when upgrading the auto-import didn't work. It was said in that thread it was because his ZFS was whole disk and not in partitions.
Idle curiosity, do you still know the thread?

I never used FreeNAS .7 at all so I can't vouch for anything about it, not even what the GUI looked like. /shrug
I likely care less about FreeNAS .7 than you do, but we aren't talking about FreeNAS .7. Seems to me we should strive to be correct when we're talking about the project this forum is dedicated to.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Idle curiosity, do you still know the thread?

I likely care less about FreeNAS .7 than you do, but we aren't talking about FreeNAS .7. Seems to me we should strive to be correct when we're talking about the project this forum is dedicated to.

Nope. Tried a few searches. I know it was July or August last year.. but I'm sure that doesn't help much.

Status
Not open for further replies.