error 5 during installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

erik3452002

Cadet
i tryed too install freenas on my computer. But during the start, before the instalation qestion. It says FreeNAS_INSTALL failed with error 5. I'm installing on a hard drive, no usb stick.At the bottom off the screen it says mountroot> and the installation is locked. I can only restart. Does anyone knows what this error massage mean?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
i tryed too install freenas on my computer. But during the start, before the instalation qestion. It says FreeNAS_INSTALL failed with error 5. I'm installing on a hard drive, no usb stick.At the bottom off the screen it says mountroot> and the installation is locked. I can only restart. Does anyone knows what this error massage mean?
Post full hardware specs and version of FreeNAS. BTW, you should install it on a USB stick.

erik3452002

Cadet
Post full hardware specs and version of FreeNAS. BTW, you should install it on a USB stick.

300gb hard drive
2gb ddr2 ram
Amd processor, dont know the speed

Tryed too install the newest version of freenas 9.2
I have tryed the 32 and 64 bit version. But both didn't work

cyberjock

Inactive Account
@erik3452002

Please familiarize yourself with the FreeNAS minimum requirements and recommended hardware. You'll find that the stuff you should have read before starting to use FreeNAS would have warned you against what you are trying to do. doc.freenas.org is your friend.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
If you refuse to read the documentation, FreeNAS is NOT for you. I promise. Oh and by the way, just because I can get my 400lb friend to run, doesn't mean he can run well. Just sayin.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
But I got it running on a other computer with 1 gb memory. I used a usb stick on that one and it worked. Why is a usb stick better? Because it is faster?

Are you going to take people's advice or insist in your fantasy theory?

If the former, for more information read the (plentiful) information on the subject available in the forum.
If the latter, hire someone to say "YES!" to your every question.

danb35

Hall of Famer
300gb hard drive
2gb ddr2 ram
Amd processor, dont know the speed
"Full hardware specs" would minimally include the brand and model of motherboard, and at least the series (and really the exact model) of CPU. If you'd read and paid any attention to the manual or the hardware recommendations here (see Ericloewe's sig for the latter), you should already know that 2 GB is way below the minimum, but that isn't likely to be what's preventing your installation--I'd suspect it's due to an incompatible motherboard/CPU, or perhaps an inappropriate BIOS setting. Since you didn't tell us what motherboard or CPU you're using, none of us can say for sure.

AMD processors are known to be hit-and-miss with BSD/FreeNAS, so that's one strike. Inadequate RAM is another strike. And if your system is old enough to use DDR2, it probably isn't up to scratch for FreeNAS anyway. The odds are slim that you can get FreeNAS up and running well on your hardware.

The reason to install FreeNAS to a USB stick (or a SATA DOM, or CF card) is because it completely takes over the boot device. If you installed it on your (apparently only) hard drive, you couldn't use that drive for storage.

erik3452002

Cadet
@ 9c1 newbee let me say this in words you apparently untherstand.... I don't want my 400lbs friend run a marathon. I would like his sorry ass moving....

@ ericloewe Freenas running on 1 Gb off memory is not fiction. I did it. I had it running. Thats a fact....

if you 2 want too help me get it running, please do. If you want too be a ass please SHUT UPP!

@dand 35 I'm trying too get it running on 1 hard disk. If I get it running I want too put in 2 more for a mirroring raid disk. I only want too use it for secure data storige. Mostly pictures. I dont want too stream video or use it on the internet in any way. Only for data storige

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
@ 9c1 newbee let me say this in words you apparently untherstand.... I don't want my 400lbs friend run a marathon. I would like his sorry ass moving....

@ ericloewe Freenas running on 1 Gb off memory is not fiction. I did it. I had it running. Thats a fact....

if you 2 want too help me get it running, please do. If you want too be a ass please SHUT UPP!

@dand 35 I'm trying too get it running on 1 hard disk. If I get it running I want too put in 2 more for a mirroring raid disk. I only want too use it for secure data storige. Mostly pictures. I dont want too stream video or use it on the internet in any way. Only for data storige

"secure data [storage]" with less than the minimum hardware?

Please, do whatever you want, but post the results here so that future readers can learn something about meeting the minimum requirements.

danb35

Hall of Famer
@erik3452002, despite having been asked almost 2 weeks ago, you haven't provided full system specs. I think the most likely cause of your problem, as I said earlier, is either an outright incompatibility or a BIOS problem--but since you still haven't said what motherboard and CPU you have, there's no way anyone here can tell if this is the case. Even with what we do know, though,
  1. You're using an AMD processor, which is known to be problematic with FreeBSD,
  2. You're using 1/4 of the minimum system requirements for RAM,
  3. You're using an old system (old enough to use DDR2 RAM), which is unlikely to have adequate performance,
  4. Your old system is highly unlikely to support ECC, which is pretty much essential if you truly want secure storage, and
  5. FreeNAS simply can't work using a single device for both the OS and data storage.
If you need to use this machine as a NAS, you really need to do it with different software--FreeNAS just isn't designed to do what you're wanting to do (or anything else, really) with this hardware. If you'll devote appropriate hardware to it and RTFM, you'll do well. If you're looking for validation that, despite falling fall below the stated hardware requirements, your system will be fine, I'm afraid you won't find it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.