Enumeration and decryption of client-side crypted Cloud Sync (rclone) backups?

taupehat

Explorer
Assuming I know the password and the salt, there should be a way to list and decrypt things we've sent off to The Cloud® but I'm stumbling over this step. Yeah sure I can log on to the cloud service site (we're using Backblaze ATM) and look at the files, but if the filenames are encrypted there's no way beyond datestamps to get any idea of which file is needed. And unfortunately I wasn't able to find much in rclone's documents/forums beyond some RTFMs sharp enough to make the FreeRADIUS guy blush.

Can we work on a userguide for this feature? I'd be happy to chip in.

Meyers

Patron
This is why I set up rclone encrypted to B2 manually. There's no way to browse and selectively restore files. It's all or nothing last time I checked.

taupehat

Explorer
I've worked up a fairly basic guide for getting your stuff that was rcloned back onto a FreeNAS array or any other system you might want. It's a pretty cumbersome process and I've attempted to detail only those steps that are absolutely needed. Please let me know if I've missed something as I can always make some edits. I made up the bucket ID for the purposes of this document - it is not as far as I know a real bucket.

Attachments

• rclone guide.pdf
    6.8 KB · Views: 452