Email notification when system updates are available?

sos_nz

Explorer
I'm probably missing something obvious, but is there a way to get an email notification when a system update is available?

I have email notifications set up and working for various alerts - all good.

Under System Settings -> Update, "Check for Updates Daily and Download if Available" is checked.

Browsing through System Settings -> Alert Settings, under the Applications category, there is an "Applications Update Available" setting, but nothing similar there, or under the System category. The nearest there is an alert for "Update Failed".

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Now that you said it out loud, that's one of those features that makes total sense and I'm surprised we hadn't done it yet...

I will pass that along and see if we can make that happen!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thing is, it was a thing - I wanna say in like FreeNAS 11.something, but got lost somewhere along the line.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
I think you are right, I do seem to recall getting an email for that many years ago... One of my guys tells me it is still there now, that you just have to enable sending email for "WARNING" level events. I will need to go test that myself now.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Similar thread the other day had some people check and not find anything. Fake edit: Still here in Core, indeed:

1707260029126.png

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
We did some checking, this exists in Cobia as well for system update notices. But there is a bug for that specific one showing up in Dragonfish BETA. Will be fixing that shortly. There is also a set of alerts on Dragonfish (and Cobia) to alert on App conditions.

1707322883195.png

sos_nz

Explorer
We did some checking, this exists in Cobia as well for system update notices.

Nope - still not seeing it. Which Category is it nested under in Cobia (23.10)?

My email alert setting is set to "Warning".

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Should be under "System", might be on page 2 as well, so you may have to click through.

sos_nz

Explorer
Should be under "System", might be on page 2 as well, so you may have to click through.
No - still can't find it (?!)

Under category "System", I've got 15 entries on one page with no scroll or page 2 as follows (just to make sure I'm in the right menu!):
Admin User Is Overridden
Boot Pool Is Not Healthy
Core Files Detected
Failover Event Caused System Reboot
Fenced Caused System Reboot
NTP Health Check Failed
Pending Confirmation From iX Portal for TrueCommand API Key
SSH Login Failures
System Not Ready For Kdump
The Web Interface Сould Not Bind to Configured Address
TrueCommand API Key Disabled by iX Portal
TrueCommand Container Failed Scheduled Health Check
TrueCommand Service Failed Scheduled Health Check
Unencrypted datasets detected within encrypted datasets
Update Failed

TrueNAS alerts.png

Hmmm.....

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Ok, this is my bad. We backported the same "Fix" into Cobia as we did Dragonfish that hid those options. They will re-appear in next round of updates. Sorry for the confusion.

sos_nz

Explorer
Thanks Kris! As per my first post, I was firstly concerned about not missing something obvious - you've reassured me on that score :)