eBay prebuilt opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKingsWolf

Cadet
This seems like a pretty good deal when compared to the prices of individual components. This thing is ready to go, just needs drives right? (And verifying the ram is ECC) Is there a reason not to go with a pre-built rig like this? I can't figure out why it's so cheap in comparison.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Looks like it should work. The clock speed on the CPUs is kind of low, which isn't great for tasks that are single-threaded (like Samba). You'd probably want to upgrade the RAM if/when you took advantage of all the bays, and in that regard, the 4 GB DIMMs are a bit of a bummer, but RDIMMs are relatively cheap. I'd prefer something with a SAS expander backplane (it would save you two HBAs), but again, it should work.

Last edited:

kdragon75

Wizard

TheKingsWolf

Cadet
hmmm ok good tips. Like i said in another thread i'm pretty new to rack style hardware so i'm trying to navigate the options as a first time builder. All the pre-built options seem rather expensive, and i'm trying to maximize my hardware per dollar value and get something that will last me a long time by giving me plenty of room to expand. That one i linked doesn't seem to be the right choice in that respect.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't think it's necessarily a bad choice, and the price is definitely attractive. This one costs more, but might be a better value.

This unit would need more RAM, but otherwise looks like a good choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.