Need Opinions on New FreeNas Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlad1966

Dabbler
I'll be putting together a new FreeNAS build soon & wanted to get opinions on a couple of things. I've built a couple of FreeNAS systems previously out of Generic PC hardware, so I'm not a rookie when it comes to FreeNAS, but I'm no expert either (especially when it comes to networking).

Reading through the forums, I'm convinced that I need ECC RAM, so I'll be getting a mobo/RAM/CPU that meets those needs. This will be not just a file server, but also a media server, since I'll be streaming from the FreeNAS box quite often to my Blu-Ray player (connected to my LED TV) via the Plex plugin.

Hardware-wise, things I want to accomplish with this build:

- MicroATX case that's reasonably small or as small as possible, but can hold minimum 6, maybe 8 3.5" HDDs
- As low power as possible, however needs to be fast (streaming movies via Plex), but needs to boot fast, want to dual-team NICs (do I need an intelligent switch for this?)

I've decided pretty much on the mobo I want - SuperMicro MBD-X10SLM-F-O.
What I'm having trouble deciding on:

- CPU: Either Core i3-4130T or Pentium G3220
Leaning toward G3220 since it would save me about $70 but it's 54W as apposed to 35W of the i3.
Performance first though (Plex).
- RAM: 8GB or 16GB of ECC? Can I get by with good performance with 8GB streaming Plex?
- PSU: Looking for a high-quality, quiet PSU - assuming I can get by w/500W? I'll be using 6 3TB HDDs to start with. I'd like it to be as small as possible.

Any other recommendations would be welcome.

joeschmuck

Old Man
8GB RAM will be fine for what it looks like you want to do, a home media server. You can get by with smaller than 500watt, buy a Seasonic brand if you want to play it safe, 350 to 400 watts would be fine.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
TDP watts do not indicate the amount a processor consumes when idle. When there's work to be done, presumably you don't care too much about watts being burned, so the TDP at full blast is not too relevant.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I have your exact set up, with the G3220 in my board.

Works friggin awesome, it almost never goes above 10% CPU usage. If you're not doing anything crazy, and not using encryption, DEFINITELY the G3220 is plenty for the X10 and FreeNAS.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
By the way, the case you want, is the BitFenix Phenom M. That's the smallest possible micro-ATX case that holds 4 full size drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.