DualBay HDD Docking Station not recognized

kappa42

Cadet
Hi there. I have a dual bay docking station which I used for other NAS OSes.
The description of it is ASMT ASM1156-PM

Under Storage --> Disks it shows only one of the Disks without a serial nr. Even when the disks arnt inserted (only ds attached), it shows the same information from the last hdd.
1623579057598.png

With the command
Code:
geom disk list

I get the following informations:
1623579185376.png

Im not a pro in freebsd so duno what exactly to do. Are there some drivers to install?
The funny thing was, while the installation I could chose both hdds to install the os and they showed the right serial nr and so on.

Otherwise I have to switch again the os

jgreco

Resident Grinch
This isn't supported or recommended for FreeNAS. USB drives in general are a lot of trouble, the bridge chips tend to suck. This gets discussed fairly frequently.

Please attach the disks directly to a SATA controller on your system, or a SAS HBA.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Otherwise I have to switch again the os
If use of this device is a requirement for you, then yes, you should switch the OS--TrueNAS will not be the OS for you. If you want reliable storage for your data, though, follow @jgreco's advice.

kappa42

Cadet
Ty for the answers. Yes, I have read somewhere else about this problematic.
Sad, cause FreeNAS gave me a lot of stuf I would like to use in private environment without setting up all the container / vms and wanted to give it a try.
It may be that freeNAS want to be reliable and so on but I mean... this is something that every os seamed to support. I used it on my ProxMox, on openmediavault even with passthrough, on unraid and it worked everywhere except FreeNAS.
I never had any problems for years. May be the best solution to have a SAS, no doubt but not everyone has everything at home :smile: and never change a running hardware.
Anyway ty and gl with this project. Maybe I ll give it a try in the future with a SAS. Until then... wb proxmox