Dual Nic setup

huseyinozsut

Dabbler
Hi,

On my server, I am using two Nics. One is 1gbit, the other is 2.5gbit. My main pc also has two nics. 2.5gbit nic on my server is directly wired to my main pc. 1gbit nic is wired to my network.

So, I am using my NAS in two DIFFERENT networks without any problem. When connecting from my main pc, Ip adress is 192.168.0.xx, and when I am connecting from any other device in my network I use 192.168.1.xx

So, no problem.

-------------

Now I am setting up a NAS for my friend. They generally will use the NAS simultaniously with two pc. They need acceptable speed. Gbit ethernet speed (for each pc) is enough for them. Link Aggregation is not an option I guess... We use cheapest hardwares. So I thought one nic's ip adress would be 192.168.1.12, the other one would be 192.168.1.13. One pc will map the NAS disk with one ip, the other pc will map the NAS disk with the other ip.

So I will give both pc gigabit connection. Is it possible? Or should I make a setup like mine (totaly different networks).

I read some articles here, about the topic. But I could not understand; due to my lack of technical knowladge and technical English terminology.

Jessep

Patron
Only one IP per device is necessary, hundreds of clients can access TrueNAS on a single IP.

TrueNAS 192.168.1.10
Client 1 192.168.1.11
Client 2 192.168.1.12
Etc.

Example:
  • Create a Pool "Media_Pool"
  • Create a Dataset "Media_Dataset"
  • Create a Share for "Media_Dataset" (SMB most likely for windows) "Media_Share"

Each client would then likely map the share to a drive letter.

Example "\\192.168.1.10\Media_Share"

This is basic networking.

huseyinozsut

Dabbler
Only one IP per device is necessary, hundreds of clients can access TrueNAS on a single IP.

TrueNAS 192.168.1.10
Client 1 192.168.1.11
Client 2 192.168.1.12
Etc.

Example:
  • Create a Pool "Media_Pool"
  • Create a Dataset "Media_Dataset"
  • Create a Share for "Media_Dataset" (SMB most likely for windows) "Media_Share"

Each client would then likely map the share to a drive letter.

Example "\\192.168.1.10\Media_Share"

This is basic networking.
The problem is, we are restricted with 1gbit network. While this is ok for one user, it is not enough for two users for us. So, I planned to use two nics in Truenas server. Since our router does not support LACP, my plan is to give one ip for each nic. Then, main computer will connect with one ip, and the rest will connect with the other ip. The server will have 12 x 2TB disks. I plan to create two sets of Raidz2 with 6 disks in one Tank (Something like raid 60). So, reading speed of the disks will be pretty high. But bottleneck is gigabit ethernet.

I couldn't find any other cheap solution.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Possible but these two IP addresses and the clients accessing them MUST be in two different networks. You cannot have addresses from one network on more than one NIC. Plain impossible.

copz1998

Dabbler
A related question - can I add a NIC to my existing server and then bind the two for faster throughput. I have seen other systems that can facilitate the task. Thank you!

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Yes, you can. If your switch supports LACP. You won't get double throughput for a single connection, but if you have a lot of clients the total bandwidth will double.

copz1998

Dabbler
Thank you sir!