dual RTL 8125 NIC

Balint4755

Cadet
Hello there!
I am building a NAS for my personal use with TRUENAS SCALE, and in my configuration I will have a b550 plus motherboard with a RTL8125 NIC
I am planning to install a second RTL8125 based NIC in the system.
I have read the problems surrounding the RTL8125 NICs, and to have the full functionality I need to install the driver.

The reason for the second NIC is that I will use one of my NICs for a direct connection betwwen my main PC and my NAS with a crossower cable. The second NIC is going to be connected to a 1 Gbit switch witch is connected to the rest of my devices.

The hrdware is going to be:
ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
R5 5600g
32GB of DDR4 RAM running 3200Mhz
256GB SSD for boot
4 x 4TB ironwolf HDD
550W Gigabyte PSU

My question is that: if I install the driver will both of my NICs work, or i need to do some extra stepps?

Disclaimer: i had used linux many times, but till this moment the drivers automatically istalled, so i am not familliar with manual driver installs in linux based systems.

Please excuse my terrible grammar english is my 2. language.

I am planning to run TRUENA SCALE 22.12.2

Last edited by a moderator:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
with a crossower cable.

You are hopefully aware that crossover cables are NOT a thing and haven't been for more than two decades. You presumably meant that you would use a straight-thru cable for a direct pointopoint connection. If you use a crossover cable, your link will probably be demoted to a 100Mbps link (which does support x-over).

I need to install the driver.

TrueNAS is an appliance OS and does not support installing drivers. It is not recommended for you to try "patching" the system in this manner.

Balint4755

Cadet
You are hopefully aware that crossover cables are NOT a thing and haven't been for more than two decades. You presumably meant that you would use a straight-thru cable for a direct pointopoint connection. If you use a crossover cable, your link will probably be demoted to a 100Mbps link (which does support x-over).

TrueNAS is an appliance OS and does not support installing drivers. It is not recommended for you to try "patching" the system in this manner.

I tested the crossover ceble between two 1Gbit NICs and I was able to get 1Gbit UP and 1Gbit DOWN.
But if you say that a straight cable will work, I will be more than happy to test it out.

As for the "driver" situation I knew about the problems surrounding the RTL8125, but in my area I can not get anithing other, cause all the intel NICs are 4x the price of the Realtech ones, and they are not easily available.