Drives Not Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjpatera

Cadet
I'm in the process of setting up a new FreeNAS. I had 2 2TB drives that were mirrored in my Windows Server 2012 setup that i'm going to use. The problem i'm having is I can't get FreeNAS to recognize these drives. Before removing them from the Windows setup, I removed the mirror and deleted all the partitions. I have since gone back and tried formatting them in several different formats but I still can't get FreeNAS to recognize them. Both drives show up fine in BIOS and if I reconnect the HDD that has the Windows installation I can se them and make any changes needed. Is there a certain format they need to be for FreeNAS to see them? I am running the latest version of FreeNAS.

Thanks in advance.

m0nkey_

MVP
You may need to zero the first couple of GB on the drive in order to use them. But first, lets do a few checks.

Can you post the result of camcontrol devlist using the code tags.

Also, please post a little more about your hardware set-up, such as motherboard, CPU, RAM, any IO cards you might have, etc.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
How are the drives physically and logically connected (including BIOS options) and server specs please?

mjpatera

Cadet
camcontrol devlist shows-
[root@freenas ~]# camcontrol devlist
<TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224BB SB00> at scbus5 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,cd0)
<PNY USB 3.0 FD PMAP> at scbus9 target 0 lun 0 (pass1,da0)
[root@freenas ~]#

Hardrives are connected to the SATA 6 ports and BIOS is set to IDE. In the main bios screen they don't show up in the sata section, all I can see is my cd/dvd drive. They do show up when I boot the PC though and it goes through the hardware check. During startup I have the option to press ctrl+M to bring up another bios menu with only drive info and here they both show the status as unconfigured.

System is setup on ECS Black Deluxe P67H2-A2 motherboard, 2nd gen i3 processor, 20gb RAM, EVGA GeForce GT640 graphics card.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
camcontrol devlist shows-
[root@freenas ~]# camcontrol devlist
<TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224BB SB00> at scbus5 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,cd0)
<PNY USB 3.0 FD PMAP> at scbus9 target 0 lun 0 (pass1,da0)
[root@freenas ~]#

Hardrives are connected to the SATA 6 ports and BIOS is set to IDE. In the main bios screen they don't show up in the sata section, all I can see is my cd/dvd drive. They do show up when I boot the PC though and it goes through the hardware check. During startup I have the option to press ctrl+M to bring up another bios menu with only drive info and here they both show the status as unconfigured.

System is setup on ECS Black Deluxe P67H2-A2 motherboard, 2nd gen i3 processor, 20gb RAM, EVGA GeForce GT640 graphics card.
Your disks are not visible to freenas. your motherboard is almost the worst choice possible. It has marvel sata chipset, realtek nic, audio and graphics. Most of this stuff it's used and just causes problems. The NICs will be slow and probably not work. The marvel ports again will be slow and clearly not working. You should read the hardware suggestion thread and try again because what you have not will not work.

mjpatera

Cadet
I realize this is not the best hardware setup for FreeNAS but it's all I have to work with for now. I got it working though. I moved the 2 drives to different sata ports on the motherboard and they both started working. Not sure what the deal is with that cause the ports it was originally in work with FreeNAS when i plug another drive into either of them. Also the drives both worked fine with Windows when they were plugged into those ports. Maybe this setup will work for me until I can get some better hardware.

Thanks for the help.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Because it's exactly what I told you. You are trying to use the marvel ports. Use the other ports and you will have better luck. And this isn't windows so you can't compare it to that. Your hardware is completely inadequate and you will not have a good experience.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.