Drives flow down hill= Making 4Kn & 512E play nicer in the same pool

AVB

Contributor
New drives for the main server mean the 2nd server gets the old, larger different drives. This time I am also changing the pool from 2 Zvols of 9 dives each in the pool to 2 Zvols of 8 drives each and adding a new pool with 8 drives.. So, pool #1 Zvol #1 will have 8 SAS 4kn drives and Zvol #2 will be 8 512E Sata drives. Pool #2 will be doing its own thing with 8 sata drives. Is there anything I need to do to make the 4Kn and 512E drives play nicer in Pool #1? I know they will work together even on the same HBA (Dell Perc H310) but since I'm doing a clean slate I thought I'd try ot optimize what I have until the next drive upgrade. Thanks!

artlessknave

Wizard
you need ashift=12 iirc. i think it's the new default.
ashift=9 works poorly with any 4kn. used to be default.
i have 4kn and 512e mixed, no problems observed.

AVB

Contributor

Doesn't ashift work globally on all drives? If not, how do you delineate which drives are to be shifted?

AVB

Contributor

I dug around and found a command to check ashift on my pools and it is already set at 12. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

artlessknave

Wizard
If not, how do you delineate which drives are to be shifted?
easy. it's not set per drive. if you are making a new pool, make it 12. 12 works fine with 4kn, 9 doesn't.
afaik, the reasons to make a pool 9, if any, are generally inferior to being able to just use 4kn and 512e drives at the same time.
sounds like you are all set, so yay!