The emailed report says

Code:
Device: /dev/ada2, 65520 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
Device: /dev/ada2, 65528 Offline uncorrectable sectors
Device: /dev/ada2, 65520 Offline uncorrectable sectors
Device: /dev/ada2, 65528 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

Selected SMART data shows

Code:
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   036	Pre-fail  Always	   -	   192
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   100   001   000	Old_age   Always	   -	   0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   100   001   000	Old_age   Offline	  -	   0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count	0x003e   200   200   000	Old_age   Always	   -	   0

The Web interface shows

upload_2018-11-6_11-37-29.png

Some of this information seems inconsistent but I have a replacement disk to install to replace ada2.

One question. I'm a novice FreeNAS user. I've used Redhat derived Linux systems for 15+ years though.

Will the swap partition thats on that disk get recreated if I go through the process of removing the disk, introducing a new one and allowing it to resilver?

Many Thanks

Ken

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Some answers depend on the version of FreeNAS being used. Please follow this guide when providing information to us so we can fully and accurately answer your questions: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/updated-forum-rules-8-3-16.45124/
Some of this information seems inconsistent but I have a replacement disk to install to replace ada2.
No, it isn't inconsistent. What happened is that the sectors went from pending to offline to reallocated. The drive is still online, but it has bad sectors that have been reallocated.
Will the swap partition thats on that disk get recreated if I go through the process of removing the disk, introducing a new one and allowing it to resilver?
When you do a drive replacement through the FreeNAS GUI, there is a 'middle-ware' layer between the web interface and the OS that basically scripts the things that you tell FreeNAS to do. So, when you replace the drive, the background scripts will do the needed partitioning before they issue the replace command. Before the new swap partition begins being used, you will need to reboot the system, but swap usage is normally not very significant.

Some details of replacing a disk can be very, very different depending on your exact software revision and if there is swap in use. Also, do you have hot-swap bays such that you are intending on removing the drive while the system is online. I hate to get too detailed without knowing more details, including what version of FreeNAS you are using.

kens

Cadet
Thank you Chris, apologies I should have said it FreeNAS-11.1-RELEASE.

Its a non-hot swap SATA setup of 3 disks for the 'Data' area. Your explanation clarifies, thank you.

Ken

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Its a non-hot swap SATA setup of 3 disks for the 'Data' area. Your explanation clarifies, thank you.
What you probably would want to do:
1. Shutdown.
2. Connect a replacement drive.
3. Do full burn-in testing on the new drive.
- After burn-in is complete.
4. Issue the replace commands through the GUI.
- After resilver is complete.
5. Shutdown and remove the defective drive.
6. Boot the NAS so services are restored.

You might want to look at these scripts:

Github repository for FreeNAS scripts, including disk burnin
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...for-freenas-scripts-including-disk-burnin.28/

Status
Not open for further replies.