SOLVED Drive activity lights always on.

AVB

Contributor
I have a SuperMicro 846TQ server with a pass-through backplane. The drives are connected to 3 Dell Perc H310 HBAs with the latest update. I had 24 Hitach Enterprise SATA drives in it and everything worked as expected. Now I have replaced 8 of the 3TB Sata drives with eight 8TB SAS drives (HUH721008AL4200) all on one HBA (not that it matters - I've tried then on multiple HBAs with the same problem). The drives format and accept data just fine but the drive activity light stays on all the time even if nothing is happening with that Pool. They do flash as expected when data is being accessed or written, they just don't go off when those actions are done. While the drives are 12Gbs and my current HBA is only 6Gbs that shouldn't really matter but I will be getting a new 12Gbs HBA soon

Since there are no jumpers on the drives, Nothing on the HBA to set and the Backplane has nothing to adjust that I've found which would cause the activity light to stay on I'm wondering if it could be the data cable? The ones I have for just fine for the Sata drives 8087 forward breakout to 4 7pin Sata connectors should work AFAIK.

Anybody have any ideas what might be causing this or how to fix it?

Thanks.

AVB

Contributor
on SAS drives and supermicro lights always is on , SATA not
OK! Thank you. Hopefully that used up my stupid quota for the day. You won't believe how long I looked at the manual and didn't see that.