Download at 1Gbps, upload at 100Mbps

Status
Not open for further replies.

maglin

Patron
Oh I forgot to add about kinks in your network cables. They are very bad. All network traffic is binary so it's 1s and 0s. If you have a kink or several the 0s can get through because of the curves, but the 1s will catch on the corners of the bend and start to stack up. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
If you have a kink or several the 0s can get through because of the curves, but the 1s will catch on the corners of the bend and start to stack up.

I hope it's just a joke... :)

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Oh I forgot to add about kinks in your network cables. They are very bad. All network traffic is binary so it's 1s and 0s. If you have a kink or several the 0s can get through because of the curves, but the 1s will catch on the corners of the bend and start to stack up. [emoji16]

That only happens if you buy low-grade network cable. I highly recommend using diamond-encrusted bi-directional cable. Preferably from AudioQuest. Monster is a suitable substitute. One of these should do nicely - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073HJVSK/?tag=ozlp-20

The audiophile-ness of the cable transmogrifies your digital 1s and 0s to analog 1s and 0s, which flow more smoothly and have a warmer tone.

zoomzoom

Guru
LOL

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Solid vs stranded shouldn't matter at such a small gauge. Generally speaking, stranded electrical wire is used when flexibility in the wire is required (i.e. automotive electrical wire vs solid electrical house wires).

Ah, wrong. You absolutely should not be putting standard crimps on solid wire. It'll seem to work until you wiggle the wire a little, and you discover that crushing the solid copper conductor tends to cause it to break. And you absolutely should not be punching down stranded wire, because the IDC terminals are designed for solid core.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/quality-10gb-om3-fiber-cables.43681/page-4#post-295965

maglin

Patron
I hope it's just a joke... :)
Yes it is. I haven't got to use this in a long time. And I'm going to get me some stranded cable to make some new patch cables soon.

Ah, wrong. You absolutely should not be putting standard crimps on solid wire. It'll seem to work until you wiggle the wire a little, and you discover that crushing the solid copper conductor tends to cause it to break. And you absolutely should not be punching down stranded wire, because the IDC terminals are designed for solid core.

I would be pissed if I troubleshoot something for any amount of time and realized it was because I used the wrong type of cable. Thank you. More knowledge today.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Yes it is. I haven't got to use this in a long time. And I'm going to get me some stranded cable to make some new patch cables soon.

I prefer to just buy prefab patch cables from Amazon. I'd also avoid making a patch cable (or having any run of stranded cable) that's longer than 25 feet (because at that point you should probably do things right and install some permanent cabling).

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I'd also avoid making a patch cable (or having any run of stranded cable) that's longer than 25 feet (because at that point you should probably do things right and install some permanent cabling).

I find it's very convenient to have a 100 foot patch hanging around for temporary use. But that kind of thing should never become permanent.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I find it's very convenient to have a 100 foot patch hanging around for temporary use. But that kind of thing should never become permanent.
I've seen a 2-story office building once that was wired entirely with patch cables. I think several of them were about 100' in length. 8P8C only - not a single keystone jack or patch panel to be seen. There were lots of problems, but I didn't work there so they weren't my problems. :D

maglin

Patron
I'm not rewiring my house. Just my patch cables in my rack and a few cables from going to equipment around the house. I need to tidy up my server rack anyways. Starting to look like a nest in there.

kriegalex

Dabbler
Hi guys,

I'm working right now off my old computer (waiting on the new Phantek Enthoo Primo tower to arrive :D) so I don't have full SSD speeds to go to 1Gbps due to very old HDDs, but it seems that going from my Netgear GS105eV2 to an older GS105 (non managed) is providing good results, I haven't seen 100Mbps upload anymore.

I will be waiting to have my new computer back and transfer some more files for 1 month, but it's promising. If it's really validated, it don't even think I will bothering investigating the switch, they are so cheap I will use it for something else that isn't "speed critical" (like printers, ...).

So even though I'm no expert in cabling, my cable seems to be fine and not the source of the problem (wasn't that hard to connect for the ones wondering, glad I didn't pay like 100+ bucks for someone to do it).

Status
Not open for further replies.