SOLVED Domain forwarding to owncloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArgaWoW

Patron
Hello,
I'm not sure to be here on the right place. I'm running freenas 9.3.1 stable and running owncloud in a jail (no plugin). I Ave bought a domain and try to forward a subdomain to my on cloud. I have a certificate from startss to save this connection. When I try to set up a frame forwarding i can't access owncloud (seems it is not supported ). How can i forward my domain to my nas with and using the certificate from startsslast?

Thanks for replying

Last edited:

Pheran

Patron
Disclaimer: I know nothing about owncloud. But I'm assuming you want to connect to a domain name that points at your home FreeNAS server. If that's the case and your home has a dynamic IP, you first need to delegate your domain (or subdomain) to a dynamic DNS provider, such as DynDNS. Then you have to set up a dynamic DNS client on your router or FreeNAS server that will keep the domain name updated with your current IP address.

EDIT: I should add that if OwnCloud uses a model where the component on the FreeNAS servers makes an outbound connection to a centralized service which you then connect to, then all of this is wrong. So I should probably just shut up and let someone who knows OwnCloud answer this. :)

ArgaWoW

Patron
Helloo Pheran,

yes thats the case :) I have a Dynamic IP and i have forward my IP in the settings of my domain. Also i have changed the DNS fo my domain matching with my dyndny. When i type in my adress (owncloud.mydomain.de) i get my router ui loaded.....

jgreco

Resident Grinch
EDIT: I should add that if OwnCloud uses a model where the component on the FreeNAS servers makes an outbound connection to a centralized service which you then connect to, then all of this is wrong. So I should probably just shut up and let someone who knows OwnCloud answer this. :)

No, OwnCloud doesn't do that. If it did, it would be TheirCloud. :smile:

We can of course argue that the second half of the name is incorrect in any case; there's no "Cloud" involved with OwnCloud. More like "OwnStorage" or "OwnDAV". Cloud computing is typically considered to involve multi-tenancy, virtualized and scalable, services provided by a service provider.

Helloo Pheran,

yes thats the case :) I have a Dynamic IP and i have forward my IP in the settings of my domain. Also i have changed the DNS fo my domain matching with my dyndny. When i type in my adress (owncloud.mydomain.de) i get my router ui loaded.....

"Router UI"? I take it not a router but a home NAT gateway (often mislabeled as a "router", but a router is actually something else).

If you have a NAT gateway, first, shut off external access to its UI. You're just asking for someone to own your gateway.

Then set up a port forwarding entry on the NAT gateway. Take a random high port, like 9999, and forward it to the IP and port you're using for OwnCloud on the NAS jail.

Then from the outside, access https://owncloud.yourdomain.de:9999/ and you should see the OwnCloud portal login.

ArgaWoW

Patron
Hi,

I can connect, but then after that my DynDns appears in the adresse field of the browser. I don't want the user's can see this adress. And it's is possible to reach the server without calling the port?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Hi,

I can connect, but then after that my DynDns appears in the adresse field of the browser. I don't want the user's can see this adress. And it's is possible to reach the server without calling the port?
This would require some reverse proxying

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Hi,

I can connect, but then after that my DynDns appears in the adresse field of the browser. I don't want the user's can see this adress.

Are they using CNAME? This wouldn't be expected behaviour for an A record.

And it's is possible to reach the server without calling the port?

Only if you happen to free up port 443 and dedicate 443 on your NAT gateway to hitting the OwnCloud instance (or reverse proxy, or whatever).

In general, this is a terrible idea because of the sheer number of bots out there looking at ${everyip}:443 and ${everyip}:80 ... the bad guys build databases of what they find running and where, so when some exploit for OwnCloud or your HTTP server becomes available, they merely need to query their databases for the sites running that software and they can then target you - often before you're even aware of the vulnerability. Running on an odd-numbered port is, sadly, a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.