Doing a clean install/upgrade & preserving settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

nogi

Explorer
A quick question for the guru's here. I have a corrupt 8.0.2-Release install and need to do a clean install while preserving my settings and RAIDZ. If I grab the 8.0.3-RC1 iso and perform an upgrade via that, will it do the clean install, migrate config and import RAIDZ for me? I'm just not sure how else to perform a clean install.

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Noeneel,

Sorry the 8.0.3 thread isn't the right place to ask this, it's considered hijacking.

A quick question for the guru's here. I have a corrupt 8.0.2-Release install and need to do a clean install while preserving my settings and RAIDZ. If I grab the 8.0.3-RC1 iso and perform an upgrade via that, will it do the clean install, migrate config and import RAIDZ for me? I'm just not sure how else to perform a clean install.

Yes, that will work. Are you unable to boot from your current install? You can backup your config from the GUI, then export your pool, then do the upgrade if you really want to be cautious about it (if you can boot your current install).

joeschmuck

Old Man
@protosd,
Speaking solely about the RAIDZ, couldn't Noeneel also, whether or not the config could be backed up, just install (not upgrade) from the iso and then auto import the RAIDZ? The RAIDZ isn't lost or anything. I do it this way all the time. In other words I do not export my pool and just reload the flash drive (boot device) with a fresh virgin image. It could even be 8.0.2-Release if desired.

Having a copy of the config file is nice if you have seriously configured your NAS so it saves you lots of time reconstructing your setup and shares.

ProtoSD

MVP
@protosd,
Speaking solely about the RAIDZ, couldn't Noeneel also, whether or not the config could be backed up, just install (not upgrade) from the iso and then auto import the RAIDZ? The RAIDZ isn't lost or anything. I do it this way all the time. In other words I do not export my pool and just reload the flash drive (boot device) with a fresh virgin image. It could even be 8.0.2-Release if desired.

Having a copy of the config file is nice if you have seriously configured your NAS so it saves you lots of time reconstructing your setup and shares.

Yes, exporting before upgrading isn't supposed to be necessary, I just suggested it as an extra measure of precaution since *some* people seem to have trouble upgrading (database sync issues), which are nothing to worry about, but people tend to freak out when they get 'error getting used space' type messages.

Really just doing the upgrade should be fine, but how the current install got corrupt would make me question my flash drive. I'd just do the upgrade/install on a new flash drive, and then restore the config.

nogi

Explorer
Just did the upgrade and still have my bad exports list error with NFS shares. Everything else works fine. Maybe I'll try another flashdrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.