Does this media library snapshotting strategy make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungarianhc

Patron
Hi There,

So I have a media library of about 4TB (and growing). I typically view the media via Plex, running on a jail. I also have a read-only CIFS share set up so I can watch by directly connecting. I have read-write user account that I use to add new data, as it comes in. My reason for wanting snapshots is twofold:

1) I'd like to have another FreeNAS system at a family member's home, where they have their own Plex Media server. ZFS snapshots will allow for replication.

2) If, when adding / modifying media, I accidentally screw something up, snapshots will let me revert.

I don't add media that often. Maybe once a week, but I'm thinking I'll do nightly snapshots. My reason for this is that if nothing changes from night to night, the next snapshot should essentially take up no space. If I added a movie, it will then start replicating to my family member's home. I'll have a retention policy of six weeks for the snapshots. The main reason, other than replication, to have them in the first place is to keep me from fat fingering something while modifying files, and I think 6 weeks is sufficient time to notice :smile:.

Thoughts? Does this make sense? Is there something I'm not considering? THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.