Does this archiving tool... exist?

Does anyone know of browser extension that essentially does the following?

With the press of a button, a webpage (and its resources) are immediately downloaded.

• Preferably, no prompt to select a folder (it just immediately downloads it)
  • Preferably, as a single file (but multiple files within its own folder is fine too)
  • Preferably, the file/folder is named according to the page's title
  • Optionally, the file/folder is timestamped

Rationale
I want to be able to go beyond "bookmarking" a webpage.
I want a local copy. (Technically, saved on my NAS via SMB, but appears as a local folder to my web browser.)
I don't want to rely on a remote archive (such as Archive.org or Archive.today).

I'm familiar with other tools, such as curl, wget, httrack, as well as the "Save Page WE" browser extension. None of these suffice, since they lack the "click-and-go" feature.

I'm looking for something that's as quick and convenient as bookmarking a page, with the end result being a local copy of a fully readable webpage.

* Save Page WE fulfills my requirements, except that it requires multiple clicks and steps, and prompts you where to save the file. It also uses a random filename for the downloaded file.

Davvo

MVP
Yes there was one a few years ago, can't recall the name. I believe you can also do the same with Firefox iirc.

As a click-and-go solution?
  1. View page
  2. Click button
  3. Continue your browsing as normal
A fully readable version of the page now exists locally, without a bunch of .js, .css, and objects littering the folder?

somethingweird

Contributor
Last edited:

somethingweird

Contributor
Save as PDF?

dak180

Patron
@winnielinnie if you have a mac; in Safari: File --> Save As and Web Archive for format.

Apollo

Wizard
Does anyone know of browser extension that essentially does the following?

With the press of a button, a webpage (and its resources) are immediately downloaded.

• Preferably, no prompt to select a folder (it just immediately downloads it)
  • Preferably, as a single file (but multiple files within its own folder is fine too)
  • Preferably, the file/folder is named according to the page's title
  • Optionally, the file/folder is timestamped

Rationale
I want to be able to go beyond "bookmarking" a webpage.
I want a local copy. (Technically, saved on my NAS via SMB, but appears as a local folder to my web browser.)
I don't want to rely on a remote archive (such as Archive.org or Archive.today).

I'm familiar with other tools, such as curl, wget, httrack, as well as the "Save Page WE" browser extension. None of these suffice, since they lack the "click-and-go" feature.

I'm looking for something that's as quick and convenient as bookmarking a page, with the end result being a local copy of a fully readable webpage.

* Save Page WE fulfills my requirements, except that it requires multiple clicks and steps, and prompts you where to save the file. It also uses a random filename for the downloaded file.
Archive.org use its own web crawler which is open source it seems:

dak180

Patron
These don't allow a one-click "fire and go" method.
You may be forgetting that Safari, being a good mac app, is fully scriptable (including saving with no additional user input) via Apple Script; which means that you could get your script into the script menu at which point you can assign it a custom shortcut key combo. You may even be able to find a script someone else has written for this (I have not looked).

somethingweird

Contributor
if you make a bookmarklet version of this start code (need much more work afterwards)

Code:
var div = document.createElement('div');
div.innerHTML = '<a style="text-decoration: none;color: inherit;" onclick="this.href=\'data:text/html;charset=UTF-8,\'+encodeURIComponent(document.documentElement.outerHTML)" href="#" download="page.html" id="somethingweird">Download</a>';
document.body.appendChild(div);
document.getElementById('somethingweird').click();

one click save as "page.html" but you can change that to whatever you want.

it's one click - but doesn't save image/css offline.

if you don't know how to make a bookmarklet - use this generator https://mrcoles.com/bookmarklet/

for images.. you have to convert them to data uri - to get them offline.