Docker Host Rancher SSH turned on with passwords by default. Bug?

edge226

Cadet
I think this is a bug but it would not allow me to produce a bug report, It told me to access the Redmine administrator.

I tested out rancher last night, At first it seemed perfect for what I needed and I was really happy.

I played around with it and did the SSH into the Freenas and then used the com port for access as described in your documentation.

Then I wondered to myself...
* Can I SSH right into the rancher? Yes, you can.
* Can I push a pubkey and will it work? It did.
* Does the pubkey survive a reboot? Yes.
* Can I secure this so it only uses the pubkey system and prevents passwords? No.

Upon a reboot the modifications made to the rancher docker container system that creates the OS wiped my modified /etc/ssh/sshd_config settings.

At first I thought that accessing the docker container directly would be more secure. It prevented SSH from being required on the freenas and removed an attack surface completely, The negative is there was no way to change specific key settings in the rancher container to make it secure.

My answer is going to be installing another OS as a VM and then installing and controlling docker from that OS, In this way I gain control of those SSH files and how secure SSH is operating.

D

dlavigne

My answer is going to be installing another OS as a VM and then installing and controlling docker from that OS, In this way I gain control of those SSH files and how secure SSH is operating.

This is the model we are moving to for 11.3.

edge226

Cadet
This is the model we are moving to for 11.3.
Thanks for the prompt post, Is the plan to have this automated in 11.3 so it is similar to creating a docker host currently with more configuration possibilities?

D

dlavigne

No, docker has been removed entirely but can be installed into a VM manually (so the user has control over the image they use and their security settings).