Disk serial number is not correct

rorot

Cadet
In GUI -> Storage -> Disks for disk da2 serial number is 000000004A16
When I check da2 serial number by code smartctl -a /dev/da2 | grep Serial
Answer is:
Code:
Serial Number: ZDH2STM8

ZDH2STM8 is the correct serial number for my da2 disk.

I have problem, because my NAS find two disks connected by ICY BOX IB-377U3 with the same serial number 000000004A16. This serial number is not my hard drive serial number. It is constant and does not change when the hard drive insiade ICY BOX IB-377U3 is replaced.
My goal is to connect two drives to the NAS by ICY BOX IB-377U3. Now that's not possible because the NAS finds it as multipath.

Why does the NAS find the wrong serial number?
Thanks for help in advance.

My NAS is: TrueNAS-12.0-STABLE

Information about disk smartctl -a /dev/da2
Code:
=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Seagate IronWolf
Device Model:     ST4000VN008-2DR166
Serial Number:    ZDH2STM8
LU WWN Device Id: 5 000c50 0a5dbccf8
Firmware Version: SC60
User Capacity:    4,000,787,030,016 bytes [4.00 TB]
Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
Rotation Rate:    5980 rpm
Form Factor:      3.5 inches
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   ACS-3 T13/2161-D revision

Heffy

Dabbler
@rorot I am guessing you replaced a disk at some point without following the procedure in the documentation here...
https://www.truenas.com/docs/hub/tasks/advanced/disk-replace/

As a guess, I would say you need to offline the ghost disk, not sure if you'd need to shutdown and disconnect the
ZDH2STM8 disk first.

I had a similar ghost drive while recently replacing a failed drive because I had just unplugged the old without off-lining it. I hope this helps.

rorot

Cadet
Thank you for answer.
I did not write this but I connected brand new disk to NAS. I did not change enything in my Pool configuration. I just plug new disk by USB and find that serial number in table GUI -> Storage -> Disks is not correct.
My goal is to connect two new disks but NAS find it with the same serial number. Information about serial number from smartctl -a /dev/da2 are correct.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I have problem, because my NAS find two disks connected by ICY BOX IB-377U3 with the same serial number 000000004A16. This serial number is not my hard drive serial number. It is constant and does not change when the hard drive insiade ICY BOX IB-377U3 is replaced.
My goal is to connect two drives to the NAS by ICY BOX IB-377U3. Now that's not possible because the NAS finds it as multipath.

Why does the NAS find the wrong serial number?
You can't use a USB multi-disk enclosure and expect it to work properly.

USB disk enclosures are not a good solution to include in a pool that you want to keep your data on.

You need to find an option that connects the disks via SATA or SAS.

if gmultipath list shows you any disks, you need to destroy those and unload the multipath module (kldunload geom_multipath) if you want to continue using it while you find a way to migrate away from it.

rorot

Cadet
Ok, I didn't write it clearly. I do not use USB multi-disk enclosure. I use USB single-disk enclosure :).
Let's forget about two drives for a moment.
I just plug new disk by USB and find that serial number in table GUI -> Storage -> Disks is not correct.
Information about serial number from smartctl -a /dev/da2 is correct. "da2" is new disk which I connected by USB.
My question is why serial number in table GUI -> Storage -> Disks != serial number from smartctl ?

sretalla