SOLVED Disk replacement question

Wouter

Dabbler
Hi!

After reading this one https://www.truenas.com/docs/core/coretutorials/storage/disks/diskreplace/ and also this solved one: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/noob-question-disk-replacement-after-offline.104039/

I still have the following question: my homebrew server with GELI encrypted disks has no free SATA ports anymore. One of the WD 4TB disks has failed:

* Pool tank state is DEGRADED: One or more devices are faulted in response to
persistent errors. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue
functioning in a degraded state. The following devices are not healthy:
* Disk WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0 WD-WCC3D0034761 is FAULTED

and I bought a new one. I am planning to replace the faulted disk by a new one, when the system is powered of. Again, I have no free SATA ports left. So is this the best procedure for me?
1) log in, select the faulted disk, choose offline
2) power off the system
3) replace disk with new one
4) power on the system
5) and then?? Is there a 'add new disk' option? Or should I choose ' replace ' in step 1 instead of offline?

Thanks for your time for this noob.

Last edited:

chuck32

Guru
Can you clarify which part exactly troubles you?

5) and then?? Is there a 'add new disk' option? Or should I choose ' replace ' in step 1 instead of offline?
Both your links clearly state that Replace is the correct option (but in Step 5, not 1)
If replacing a failed disk with an available disk in the system, click Replace, select an available disk from the dropdown list, then click Replace.

I have no experience with GELi, but it's also described there
Although GELI encryption is deprecated, TrueNAS implements GELI encryption during a “GELI-Encrypted (Legacy) pool” disk replacement. TrueNAS uses GELI encryption for the lifetime of that pool, even after replacement.

Wouter

Dabbler
Can you clarify which part exactly troubles you?

Both your links clearly state that Replace is the correct option (but in Step 5, not 1)

I have no experience with GELi, but it's also described there

What troubles me, is the order to do click on Replace and physically replace the disk. As you answer 'clearly state', this is not clear to me. Because I cannot add an empty disk to my system up front.

chuck32

Guru
As you answer 'clearly state', this is not clear to me. Because I cannot add an empty disk to my system up front.
Got you!

You first replace the disk physically and then in the pool. The disk is still part of the pool after you offline and remove it. Then when you chose replace you will replace it with the new one.
You do not necessarily need to have both disks present at the same time.
Hopefully that's a little clearer.

Wouter

Dabbler
Got you!

You first replace the disk physically and then in the pool. The disk is still part of the pool after you offline and remove it. Then when you chose replace you will replace it with the new one.
You do not necessarily need to have both disks present at the same time.
Hopefully that's a little clearer.
Great, thanks, this is what I meant.

Cheers

Wouter

Dabbler
Just for a bit more courage, I had two IPA's and replaced the disk. I *think* all went well. See attachment. I was expecting a bit more verbosity via syslog, because the system was not telling me a change in the pool. It kept DEGRADED. After a while I saw Storage, Pools, Status with a percentage of the re-silvering process. Happy to see that!

replaced.png

chuck32

Guru
It kept DEGRADED. After a while I saw Storage, Pools, Status with a percentage of the re-silvering process. Happy to see that!
And now it's healthy again? :)

zubair.zafar

Dabbler
We're utilizing TrueNAS application version 13, and recently encountered a situation where one of our hard disks failed. Subsequently, we removed the faulty disk and replaced it with a new one of identical capacity. Despite attempting to initiate scrubbing, the new disk failed to rebuild, leaving the disk status degraded. Our RAID-5 configuration was set up through the BIOS. We urgently seek assistance in resolving this issue without risking data loss. Kindly provide a solution so that we can promptly address this matter.

chuck32

Guru
Our RAID-5 configuration was set up through the BIOS.
That does not sound good..

Please start your own thread, include all your hardware information in detail and maybe add a little more context to your question.

Wouter

Dabbler
And now it's healthy again? :)
Not yet, I think the resilvering proces was about 8 hours. Not sure exactly, as I was sleeping. There was no message in syslog about the status. Now the pool status is:

RESILVER

So it wil be OK I guess. The whole process in replacing a 4TB disk with another 4TB disk took about 12 hours.