Status
Not open for further replies.

Tito

Cadet
SOLVED:
To all those who find this looking to solve a similar problem,
In my case, the drives were bad. Running long tests through WD's disgonstic
http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=940
Showed too many bad sectors. The drive managed to pass shorter tests.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Good morning,

The general situation is I've decided it's time for me to upgrade my storage. I've been running 2 4TB Seagate consumer drives in a striped array. I want to move to a 4 4TB WD Red RaidZ1. The plan was to move data, delete the stripe array, make a brand new 4x4TB RaidZ1. First with the 2 Seagates and 2 Reds, then replacing the 2 Seagates over the summer.

I bought 2 4 TB WD Reds and plugged them in. On boot, they register and and I can work with them as expected. Shortly after, the drives will "remove". I need some help figuring out why.

Setup
I'm running out of an ASUS RS500-E6/PS4 Server. Dual x5550 server with 24GB of RAM, Mobo: ASUS Z8NR-D12-SYS Server Board.
http://www.ittelo.ru/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/ASUS_RS500-E6-PS4_ittelo.pdf
The main purpose of my NAS is actually for Plex. The NAS and ZFS are an added (often confusing, but worthwhile bonus).
I've done a lot of googling, but apparently I'm the only person who's had problems with the Red's in a NAS application.

What I've tried
Swapping the drive bays doesn't help. i.e. Seagates were in 0 and 1, physically moved the Reds to 0 and 1. Still disconnect.

I've ordered new SATA cables, looking here:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...leshooting-guide-basic-common-failures.41026/
I figured that's one more variable to remove.

I've removed the Reds and ran a SMART test on my main rig. To my uneducated, eyes and what sources I was going off of, everything seemed in order. In Windows, I was able to stripe, and copy data just fine.

I don't know if the disconnect happens after an amount of time, or when commands are given. I've gotten as far as making dataset before the drives "remove". Trying to run a SMART test through shell, usually fails though.

I thought maybe it was a timeout problem with the Red's parking their heads. I saw somewhere on these forums that there was a bad batch in the past. I used ubcd and wdidle3 to disable and no change.

It's important to note that everything was fine, and still is fine with the Seagate drives and my FreeNAS installation. If I don't try to use the Reds, I can create pools, install plugins, make shares, transfer files, the whole shibang.

Conclusion

As you can imagine, I don't have too much experience with what I'm doing. I imagine there's something simple I'm missing, but I don't know how to find what I'm looking for and if I did find it I probably wouldn't know it. Looking for any help, suggestions, and pointing the in direction's of. Let me know if there's any more information I can provide

Edited to include more information.
Edited when solved.

Last edited:

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Swapping the drive bays doesn't help. i.e. Seagates were in 0 and 1, physically moved the Reds to 0 and 1. Still disconnect.
Hmm, out of curiosity have you tried swapping the actual hard drive trays? I know you switched the drives in the bays and they worked fine. Only difference I am thinking is that the 2 WD Reds were still in the same trays. Maybe they are not fully seating to the backplane?

Tito

Cadet
No dice. This time only one Red even registered as connected. They both have power and spin up. The Seagates still work even with sled and bay change.

Mirfster

K, this is funky then..
  1. Are you running the latest BIOS (I know it is kinda old but checking anyways)?
  2. Do the WD Drives appear after soft reboots?
I have installed 2 SATA WD5000YS Caviar RE2 drives, but these are regularly not recognised by the bios. (every 2nd or 3rd start). Soft reboot usually helps, sometimes it needs a few reboots. I have read about similar problems in the forums P5M2 related boards) so hope a bios fix may solve this. Anyone else have any similar issues? I will contact Asus support about this.
While not your same MB, just a "similarity"

Mirfster

For the "ASUS RS500-E6/PS4" I think this is the link. Select "Others" for the OS under "Drivers and Tools"; then you should see the available BIOS updates.
https://www.asus.com/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/RS500E6PS4/HelpDesk_Download/

For the "ASUS Z8NR-D12-SYS" Motherboard I think this is the link. Same steps as above. and latest BIOS looks to be the same.
http://www.asus.com/supportonly/Z8NR-D12/HelpDesk_Download/

Latest available BIOS Updates appear to be dated 03/05/2012 and is BIOS version 1501.

Somewhat interesting is that on the download page for the Z8NR-D12; it shows this for BIOS version 1403:
Update Intel RAID & LSI Raid option rom to support HD larger than 3.0 TB

Tito

Cadet
Thanks for your help! Though I didn't solve the problem.

Turns out the drives were bad. I put them back in my main rig and ran some more tests and the tests failed.
I talked to supplier and they're refunding.

Regardless, thanks for your help in trying to figure out what was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.