Diagnosing a bad drive

boggie1688

Explorer
Hi,

The other night one of the drives in the Freenas box started making a scraping noise. Almost like something was scraping across the platter. I powered down the box, moved it out of the closed, and now the noise is gone. However, I suspect this is only temporary before it does it again.

I ran a short smart test on all the drives (8) and everything came back as a PASS.

Two questions here:
1. The box uses a Dell H200 to connect the drives. Does this effect the smart test?
2. Is there a way to test the drive further? Will a longer smart test uncover more information?

Thanks for the help!

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
1. The box uses a Dell H200 to connect the drives. Does this effect the smart test?
No -- using a Dell H200 should have no affect at all on SMART tests. These are just another LSI/Broadcom/Avago-based HBA.
2. Is there a way to test the drive further? Will a longer smart test uncover more information?
Yes. Run the SMART extended test on your drives, either as a task, or directly from the command line. These will test your drives more extensively than the short tests do. Command-line example: smartctl -t long /dev/dax