Detached volume, can't import from GUI, or see in GUI when imported using CLI

Z300M

Guru
I am using the legacy interface of FreeNAS 11.2 (I have tried using the new GUI, but that doesn't do the job either: no volume is displayed that I can import.)

Late yesterday I got an alert that one of my drives (a 2TB Seagate, now 3.5yrs past the end of its warranty), and I didn't have time to deal with replacing it, so I simply detached the volume and went to bed.

Now I cannot import it again from the GUI. I was able to reimport it using the CLI, but I cannot see it in the GUI. I read that when a volume is imported using the CLI, the GUI knows nothing about it and that I should export the volume again using the CLI, then import it using the GUI.

BUT the GUI does not "see" a volume to import: I see the moving bar, which it seems is supposed to indicate that the GUI is looking for the volume to import, but then that moving bar simply disappears without finding a volume.

What am I doing wrong?

Z300M

Guru
I replaced the dying drive using the CLI and renamed the affected pool (which I had been putting off for a long time) after resilvering was complete, thinking that perhaps the GUI would find importing a pool with a different name to be more acceptable, and that worked.

Then I found a report that it is impossible to import a degraded pool using the GUI, but I don't recall whether that was classified as a bug.

Z300M

Guru

Z300M

Guru
As I wrote in Post #2, I replaced the failing drive at the CLI and then was able to reimport the pool using the GUI.

AFAIK, there is still no way to import a degraded pool using the GUI.

danb35

Hall of Famer