Sharing CLI Imported Readonly Pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irTwit

Dabbler
I am away from my server right now but I have a single disk replication of the server attached to a desktop PC through a SATA/USB connection.

Not wanting to alter/corrupt the replicated drive I have imported the pool as readonly through the CLI using "zpool import -o readonly=on poolname"

Is there a way to import a volume as readonly through the GUI so I can setup a CIFS share?

Otherwise I am tediously copying files off to a very slow mounted USB thumb drive through the CLI.

Desktop PC Setup:
FreeNAS-9.10-STABLE-201605240427
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz
8111MB DDR3 (non-ecc)

D

dlavigne

Why not just check the "Export Read Only" box on the CIFS share?

irTwit

Dabbler
Why not just check the "Export Read Only" box on the CIFS share?

My understanding is that the "Export Read Only" setting would only apply to the CIFS share permissions. Could there be damaging changes made to the volume due to being connected through a USB interface or on a system not using ECC memory?

I assume ZFS won't "heal" any corrupted data since its a single disk volume but I want to be careful with the data.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
My understanding is that the "Export Read Only" setting would only apply to the CIFS share permissions. Could there be damaging changes made to the volume due to being connected through a USB interface or on a system not using ECC memory?

I assume ZFS won't "heal" any corrupted data since its a single disk volume but I want to be careful with the data.
Curious... Why the concern about "being connected through a USB interface or on a system not using ECC memory?" or ZFS "heal" when you are already running FreeNAS on a "Desktop PC" with "8111MB DDR3 (non-ecc)"?

If I read that incorrectly or misinterpreted the question, please feel free to correct me. ;)

irTwit

Dabbler
Curious... Why the concern about "being connected through a USB interface or on a system not using ECC memory?" or ZFS "heal" when you are already running FreeNAS on a "Desktop PC" with "8111MB DDR3 (non-ecc)"?

If I read that incorrectly or misinterpreted the question, please feel free to correct me. ;)

I think you implying it's a shady setup and I would agree. :p Its only a temporary arrangement until I can get back to my server. Since the drive is one of three copies of my data I'm just trying to preserve its integrity. In the end it's not critical just checking if there was an easy way of doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.