Importing ZFS pool with one dead disk hangs

KingKoca

Cadet
Hello everyone, I have a problem here. I have RAIDZ1 ZFS pool build on 4x 4TB disks on a machine with 8 GB of RAM. One disk has failed between reboot and has became UNAVAIL, so the pool is DEGRADED.

The system (11.3-RELEASE) won't boot, it says that it found uberblock and is opening the pool, but nothing happens for several hours.

I am able to get to shell (booting to single user mode or using flash drive with freenas to go to shell), but when i try to import drive (import -f poolname), it just hangs and does nothing. It is now 10 hours and still nothing. It is not frozen, importing in "screen" makes me able to use the system, but it is idle (no cpu usage).

When I try readonly mode (import -o readonly=on -f poolname), it is imported within 1 second and I can list contents of the pool. But in readonly mode, i cannot detach that one failed drive and replace it with new one.

Please help. Is it supposed to take this long? What should I do?

I would try a clean install of FreeNAS and then try importing your pool.

AlexGG

Contributor
Are you trying to start with a faulty drive connected or disconnected?

KingKoca

Cadet
I tried booting from freenas USB install stick, I will try to install fresh FreeNAS, but I am afrait it won't help.

Faulty drive is disconnected - in fact it is replaced with new disk - same specs (WD40EFRX).