Dell T430

stevedparry

Cadet
Hey all

Synology user here, I'm wanting to move to Truenas Scale.
I have a Dell T430 server which I was wanting to use

I understand the PERC H730 that is in the server is not good, So was intending to fit a LSI 9211 in IT Mode.
This will mount 8 x 10tb SAS drives in the hotswap trays. (I dont intend to use the hotswap feature)
I was thinking of using either RAIDZ-1 or RAIDZ-2
I intend to use something like 2 x SSD for the boot drive in mirror mode (truenas mirror not hardware)
It has 16gb of memory but will probably up this to 64gb

I have all the parts apart from the controller.

Im pretty much using for storage and lab work so docker instances mainly (im a software developer by trade)

Is there anything I've missed, will this be sufficient?

NugentS

MVP
I would suggest RAIDZ2 rather than Z1
What will you use to backup ?
64GB is good, 16 is OK - IMHO absolute minimum
9211 is fine for HDD's, don't expect to mount many SSD's on it and get good performance - it doesn't have the guts for many of them.

Not sue how you will "turn off" hot swap. But whatever

stevedparry

Cadet
I would suggest RAIDZ2 rather than Z1
What will you use to backup ?
64GB is good, 16 is OK - IMHO absolute minimum
9211 is fine for HDD's, don't expect to mount many SSD's on it and get good performance - it doesn't have the guts for many of them.

Not sue how you will "turn off" hot swap. But whatever

Thanks for replying NugentS

Yeah I will probably use RaidZ2
I'll be using my old synology
I though 64GB would be good, from what I've read the ZFS filesystem works better with more ECC memory
Yeah HDD's are all I intend to use, I may add a cache drive onto a different sata controller later. Storage is more important that performance.

I meant I wouldnt be pulling out any drives whilst the server is on :)

Cheers

sfatula

Guru
I would add a NUT compatible UPS would be useful, er, required in my book. For 8 10TB drives, would not use a single pool of 8 drives with Raidz1. Raidz2 better in this case.

When you say you might add a "cache" drive later, what type of cache drive do you think you might add?

What size SSD for boot?

stevedparry

Cadet
I would add a NUT compatible UPS would be useful, er, required in my book. For 8 10TB drives, would not use a single pool of 8 drives with Raidz1. Raidz2 better in this case.

When you say you might add a "cache" drive later, what type of cache drive do you think you might add?

What size SSD for boot?
I was just going to get 2 x 250gb ssd's or maybe go for 2 x SATA DOM's (supermicro probably)

Cache, not really got that far into the build, its not really necessary at the moment, I just want somewhere to store data

stevedparry

Cadet

What size SSD for boot?
Sorry forgot to mention, ill be having a UPS, I have 2 PSU's so one will have the UPS and other direct into the wall, any recommendations?

sfatula

Guru
Sorry forgot to mention, ill be having a UPS, I have 2 PSU's so one will have the UPS and other direct into the wall, any recommendations?
I have no preference, as long as it's on the NUT compatible list. I personally use an Eaton, whatever was good price at the time I bought it. I will say the Cyberpowers, at least some of them, have various driver issues/bugs.

stevedparry

Cadet
Dont suppose anyone knows what cable I need to connect the 9211-8i card to the hotswap bays?

stevedparry

Cadet
I'd expect an ordinary SFF-8087 SAS cable.
The cable supplied with the H730 seems to be a Y1MGK which doesnt seem to be compatible with a the LSI card.

From what ive read the H730 has Two internal HD Mini-SAS SFF8643

and the LSI has Two x4 internal mini-SAS connectors (SFF8087)

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, the backplane almost certainly has either SFF8087 or SFF8643 connectors. If the H730 has SFF8643, and both ends of the cable have the same connectors, then you need a SFF8087-to-SFF8643 cable. But from what I'm finding here, the Y1MGK cable should be SFF8087 on each end.

This cable has both connectors. The wider one, on the left, is a SFF8087. The narrower one, on the right, is a SFF8643:
sas87431m.main.jpg