Dell Poweredge C2100 support

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like there are lots of models of the C2100 available used fairly cheaply, and they support 12 drives. Do they work with FreeNAS? I see two threads mentioning them, and it kind of looks like they do, which would be nice.

Because I need too much disk too cheap. And I don't need that much performance (few users, mostly backup or archival materials). The drives alone are more than we can afford :-(.

We've got a suitable place for a rackmount server or three (noisy doesn't matter much).

I've been thinking of having to learn about "disk shelves" and controllers and all that -- and those things are *expensive*, and unless I understand them high risk as well. Whereas a 12-bay server would really get us caught up, and used units with 24GB are under $400 here and there.

While it's off-topic, can I ask what people know against them? As I say, more archival and backup for personal and semi-pro projects, not something where half a day of downtime when it breaks is a problem, doesn't need incredible performance, not doing dedup so don't need huge amounts of memory, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.