My FreeNAS Build Isn't Working But I Did My Research

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBobC

Dabbler
I've been doing a lot of reading, and I've decided to upgrade some of my 3x Norco RPC-4220s to a couple of Dell C2100s. So I have two of those, each with 24GB ECC RAM, and they came with the 5i or 6i card or whatever, but I replaced that with an M1015 I flashed to IT mode, FW 20.00.04.00 from the Avago website. The backplane that came with the C2100 isn't like anything I've been able to find elsewhere. I have a part number that results in nothing from Google, DAS45TB16G0. There is no sticker above that number to indicate the Dell Part Number. This backplane has three SFF-8484 connectors, one each for four HDDs in the front. The 5i or 6i has SFF-8484 cables, but the M1015 has SFF-8087, so I bought four of the Ably 3ft. SFF-8087 to SFF-8484 cables from Amazon and switched them. There is still the original cable from 4 SATA ports to the SFF-8484 on the backplane which I didn't need to replace. I've got FREENAS 9.3.1 running on a USB stick, and 12x 5TB Toshiba PH3500U‑1I72 in each server. I'm waiting for my other M1015 so right now only one server is up.

Here is my problem: I can't make a raidz-anything that includes disks from the M1015 controller. I have a raidz1 using ada0, ada1, ada2, and ada3 (which are all from the motherboard ports using the original Dell cable, and I made it just to see if it could work and yes I know 4 disks is not optimal for raidz1, but that isn't the deciding factor here), but anything that tries to use da0 through da7 to extend the existing raidz1 results in errors such as:

Unable to GPT format da-whatever

Also during boot I get many ISCSI errors on the da-whatever drives, but never the ada ones.
CAM Status: SCSI Status Error
SCSI status: Check Condition
SCSI sense: UIT ATTENTION asc:29,0 (Power on, reset, or bus device reset occurred)

Then these keep happening and of course I get:
Device: /dev/da1 [SAT], ATA error count increased from 335 to 359 (this happens often enough, but these drives are new, and if I put them in the ada slots, they don't happen).

The disks are all brand new. Sometimes when I go to wipe them it won't let me, but always only with the disks attached to the M1015 using the sff-8087 -> sff-8484 cable. All of the disks appear in the OS, so I'm thinking it's not that I bought a backwards cable. I also changed out the first two cables for the second two cables with no luck. I'm at quite the loss for what else I can do here to get this up and running, and have searched and searched the forums and found that a C2100 is okay for FREENAS, M1015 is a great idea when flashed to IT mode, and the 5TB Toshiba drive is fine too. The only thing I can think of is that the machine doesn't like any of the four cables I purchased, or there is a backplane issue and maybe I should get one that is SFF-8087 (like this one. If anyone can help me further diagnose this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Camcontrol devlist yields da devices appearing this way:
<ATA TOSHIBA MD04ACA5 FP2A>
While ada devices appear this way:
<TOSHIBA MD04ACA5 FP2A>

I also get smart errors on the da drives. Given I have 24 drives, I have switched them out enough so that the errors do not occur when placed in the ada slots. What is causing all of these errors? I read somewhere about an experimental iSCSI driver that had given people some grief, but that it had been fixed and integrated into the build, so I don't think that is it. I just don't know at this point and have many other things I could be doing.

Last edited:

Fuganater

Patron
I just have to say that your sig is huge.

MrBobC

Dabbler
See, I don't know how to make that neat drop down like you have or I would do that.

Fuganater

Patron
Code:

Coming soon :)

MrBobC

Dabbler
Code:

Coming soon :)
Thanks Fuganater! Now if only someone knew the answer to the real problem at hand...

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Can you maybe take a picture of the backplane and show what you are working with?

Unless someone here is experienced with that particular Dell hardware, your best bet may be to roll the dice and get the backplane with SFF-8087 ports. :(

Last edited:

MrBobC

Dabbler
I had thought of the jumper setting but was unable to locate any jumpers on the board at all. What I don't get is why I have no issues with the Ada drives though.

MrBobC

Dabbler
Okay, so here are some pictures. I've been unable to find this part anywhere on the interwebs. The puzzling piece for me is still that I have no problems with the ada drives that are connected with the Dell cable to the motherboard sata ports. I've never heard of a specific cable ever making a difference as long as the quality was there and the ports were good, so I'm having trouble thinking it's the cables.

http://imgur.com/a/z0FwD/all

Fuganater

Patron
I am probably 100% wrong but don't you have to use a Dell card in a Dell server? I've never seen anyone post about using anything other than a Dell PERC card. Again I could be way wrong but just saying it.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
C2100 user here; I've never seen that backplane in any of the gear I've got. The direct-attach one that you linked in your original post (the KFF57 model with SFF-8087) is the typical direct-attach model, 9NXC7 is the expander-style.

It really does point to a backplane issue IMO. I'd grab a KFF57 and use that - critically do not use an expander because you've got SATA drives behind it and you're trying to eliminate your issue, not just replace it with another ;)

MrBobC

Dabbler
C2100 user here; I've never seen that backplane in any of the gear I've got. The direct-attach one that you linked in your original post (the KFF57 model with SFF-8087) is the typical direct-attach model, 9NXC7 is the expander-style.

It really does point to a backplane issue IMO. I'd grab a KFF57 and use that - critically do not use an expander because you've got SATA drives behind it and you're trying to eliminate your issue, not just replace it with another ;)
Do you use an M1015? I wasn't planning on using the expander version anyway. For your cables, are they Dell or a different brand? I'm trying to narrow down the issue, but I do keep coming to the backplane, but I still can't figure why I don't have the issues with the drives connected to the motherboard with the Dell cable.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Do you use an M1015? I wasn't planning on using the expander version anyway. For your cables, are they Dell or a different brand? I'm trying to narrow down the issue, but I do keep coming to the backplane, but I still can't figure why I don't have the issues with the drives connected to the motherboard with the Dell cable.

Reflashed H200 on LSI P16 firmware - still on 9.3, haven't gone to 9.3.1 on any machines yet. Dell branded everything, except the drives which are Constellation ES or ES2's.

I don't think it's compatibility as much as just a bum backplane. This thread is literally the only result on search engines for that part number.

MrBobC

Dabbler
I've got 24 5TB HDDs to put into two of these C2100s if I can ever get this issue squared away. Since both came with that backplane, I am going to try the second backplane and see if that does anything, but I doubt it will. Yeah, there is no documentation anywhere of this backplane option. Perhaps I should move the backplane port I've plugged the mobo sata ports to and see if they are fine in that port and if I still get errors on the da drives. Do you think M1015 vs H200 would make a difference?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Yes, try the cable shuffle if you haven't already.

M1015 vs H200 shouldn't make a difference, especially if they're both reflashed versions. The R-series will sometimes have a "storage slot" that only recognizes PERC HBAs but the C-series I have don't do that.

MrBobC

Dabbler
I tried the cable shuffle, I'm going to try the backplane shuffle, even though I just ordered 2 of the KFF57s. Yeah, my M1015 is flashed to P20.00.04.00

MrBobC

Dabbler
Just remember that you'll need a reverse breakout cable to connect the four onboard SATA ports to the third SFF-8087 connector on the backplane. They aren't bidirectional so you can't just use a forward one.

Understood. I think I have a couple hanging around anyway. I had used the reverse breakouts in my three existing Norco RPC-4220 servers anyway.

MrBobC

Dabbler
Quick update on this. I received my second M1015 card today and it still generates the errors, so I'm down to cables or backplanes, both of which are arriving by Monday, and then I'll return the one that it wasn't.

MrBobC

Dabbler
Okay, last update on this one. I tried using other cables and that didn't work today. The replacement backplanes I ordered also came today (the ones with SFF-8087 ports) and absolutely 0 issues. Now if only the cables I had in my existing server were long enough... time to find some longer SFF-8087 and reverse breakout cables...

Comet Jo

Dabbler
I have one of those stupid 9NXC7 backplanes in my FS12-TY/C2100. I have tried a Dell H200 with original firmware, cross-flashed it to the LSI firmware in IT mode, tried flipping jumpers around, switching the mini-SAS cables backwards, forwards, different slots, SAS disks, and SATA disks. NOTHING frigging works with that damn backplane. Most Google search results are tons places trying to offload their 9NXC7's. The rest are a few forum threads where people with 9NXC7 units are asking why they don't work with anything they try. I have never been so furious with a computer system before, and I've built or worked on dozens and dozens by now. I admit, I'm a total newb to the SAS backplane world, but still. This is nuts.

I am going to buy one of those KFF57 on eBay very soon. Upgraded this barebones FS12-TY with 72GB RAM, H200 adapter, two power supplies, and a matched-pair-beast-mode Xeon E5645 hex-core CPU combo. All to find that I can't even use that huge 12-bay disk storage for FreeNAS.

Thanks for the additional data point about this crappy backplane.

Status
Not open for further replies.