SOLVED Deleted dataset still appearing in directory path when creating share

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
I seem to have a rogue dataset (an old dataset that I have deleted).
It's still visible in the directory/path when I go to create a CIFS share, but it has already been deleted from /storage
Anyway to remove this dataset that was already deleted? It doesn't show in the volumes/storage.. only when I create a share it's listed in the directory/path.

Images attached (as you can see this dataset doesn't actually exist anymore):
upload_2014-12-15_15-28-44.png
upload_2014-12-15_15-29-29.png

D

dlavigne

Do you have a periodic snapshot task? If so, it might be related to shadow copies/previous versions:

Users can not delete shadow copies on the Windows system due to the way Samba works. Instead, the administrator can remove snapshots from the FreeNAS® administrative GUI. The only way to disable shadow copies completely is to remove the periodic snapshot task and delete all snapshots associated with the CIFS share.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
No I don't have any snapshot tasks enabled at all, unless it auto enabled?

I did look under /storage/snapshots and I see this:

upload_2014-12-15_18-31-49.png

should I delete this this? Will it remove the shadow?
What is the purpose of this snapshot if I didn't create it?

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

That's weird as it shouldn't be making automated snapshots without you configuring them... Which version of FreeNAS? Anything under Period Snapshot Tasks?

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
I'm using freeNAS 9.3.

Nothing at all under Periodic Snapshot tasks. I think it was perhaps a snapshot made, when a jail was auto-made, when a plugin was installed. (my guess)

However, I'd like to note that this isn't the first time I've had issues with a deleted dataset still showing in the file path/directory when creating new shares. The only way I was able to make it disappear before was by deleting the whole volume and then starting over. But that was when I had no data on my volume at all. Now I have about 1TB of data, so that's no longer an option lol.

It's not that it's causing me any issues, but I'm a bit OCD and like to keep my directories clean, afterall it shouldn't be there if the dataset was deleted.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
From a command line (either SSH or the terminal), can you type ls /mnt/RobFreeNAS and see if the Users folder is there?

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
From a command line (either SSH or the terminal), can you type ls /mnt/RobFreeNAS and see if the Users folder is there?

it is indeed there.
Can I delete this "Users" Folder via the terminal?

Last edited:
J

jkh

The snapshots (actually clones) for jails is normal since that is how it creates instances. It creates a single template and then a clone from it for each jail instance so you don't have to pay the freight of all that duplicated stuff.

No idea why the file browser is still showing a "Users" dataset even though you don't (think you) have one. What does "zfs list" from the command line show?

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
you mean this?:
upload_2014-12-15_20-0-3.png

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Did you rename Users -> BitTorrentTransmission ? Or is that new? It isn't in your original screenshot.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
Did you rename Users -> BitTorrentTransmission ? Or is that new? It isn't in your original screenshot.

That's new. I didn't rename Users to anything. Since the directory of "users" shows in the shell, can't I delete it via a command line?

J

jkh

Oh, wait. What happens if you ls /mnt/RobFreeNAS. Do you see a directory under there called Users? Don't forget, the file browser in the chooser UI is just a file browser - it doesn't know which directories are mountpoints for datasets and which are just directories.

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
Yes I have mentioned that when typing ls /mnt/RobFreeNAS in shell cmd
"Users" directory is listed, see below:

upload_2014-12-15_20-45-49.png

Last edited:

THE_KINGDOM

Explorer
LOL So I removed it from datasets in the GUI.. so I guess this is a minor glitch?

I'm going to rmdir right now and see if it disappears

EDIT:

YAY! It's gone lol. that was an easy fix.. but I guess this is a glitch, nonetheless.

tumblingthrough

Dabbler
Same just happened to me, so thanks for this thread guys.

I had a similar problem with an unwanted folder in the pool in v11.2-U1. I could not delete the folder using rmdir because there was still a hidden file contained the folder. Using Shell, this is how I got rid of the hidden file and eventually the unwanted folder...
cd/mnt/pool/folder
ls (cmd to display files in folder which was ".windows")
rm .windows
cd
rmdir /mnt/pool/folder

Done.